Author Topic: 1841 look up please  (Read 2986 times)

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 look up please
« on: Wednesday 28 February 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A process of elimination and a slim chance.

Our Thomas Chilton was transported in 1835 so naturally he would not be in the 1841 census but if i can find the Thomas Chilton's that were in the census it may help prove which one he was.

The three i would like checked are.
Thomas Chilton Chr 27 Dec 1812 Preston upon The Weald Moors.
Thomas Chilton Chr 21 Jul 1811 Dawley Magna.
Thomas Chilton Chr 6 Feb 1808 Little Wenlock.

Regards
EddieW :)

Offline MikeWoolridge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Could only find 3 Thomas Chilton with dob about right time

Thomas Chilton 1816 miner b Shropshire living Dawley Magna
Elizabeth 25
William 5
Henry 3
Fanny 1

Thomas Chilton 50 bricklayer living Horton, Wellington
Letittia 40
Thomas Chilton 25 b 1817 butcher
George 25
Emma 15
Henry 12
Samuel 10
Jane 5
Ann 70

Thomas Chilton 28 b 1813 living Dawley
Frances 23 wife
living as boarders with Henry and Elen Hollis miner
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Woolridge, Wooldridge, Reece, Rees, Rushton, Frost, Gledhall, Turner, Meacham, Machin, Heath

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
Thanks for the help, they don't seem to be the people i am looking for at the moment but will compare them with what i have.
Allowing for rounding down in 1841 the 25 year old could actually be 28 and that would make his birth year closer to one of the Chilton's i am looking for.
Doesn't solve my problem though so will keep looking and try another angle later on.

Thanks
EddieW :)

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
A process of elimination and a slim chance.

Our Thomas Chilton was transported in 1835 so naturally he would not be in the 1841 census but if i can find the Thomas Chilton's that were in the census it may help prove which one he was.

The three i would like checked are.

I know its an old thread, but as I'm researching chilton in Shropshire around this time, I have
Thomas Chilton Chr 27 Dec 1812 Preston upon The Weald Moors.
Parents Thomas & Mary
Thomas Chilton Chr 21 Jul 1811 Dawley Magna.
Parents Thomas & Ann
Thomas Chilton Chr 6 Feb 1808 Little Wenlock.
Parents William & Charlotte

There is also a Thomas Chilton chr 26 Apr 1807 Lilleshall with parents Richard and Ann.

The 1812 Thomas died in 1851  so not yours :)
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for replying, still haven't got very far with the birth of Thomas and his family in Shropshire
Had eliminated the Thomas from Dawley Magna as the one in the 1841 census born 1813 was close enough as ages go in the census to be the one I had born 1811.
Now that you have given me the death of Thomas born 1812 at Preston upon The Weld Moors that also eliminates him.
The Thomas born in 1808 although a bit early was the only one I could see that was not in the census so every possibility it was him but now Thomas Chilton Chr 26 Apr 1807 is another possibility but starting to get a bit early for his birth year as at his trial in 1835 he was 23 and marriage in 1844 he was 32, so my question now is was the 1807 Thomas in the 1841 census, if so that would eliminate him also.
Our Thomas at his trial was listed as a Chimney Sweep and Farm Labourer, do you have anyone on your records that would fit that category.
Thanks
Eddie

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
In 1841 there is a Thos & Frances Chilton aged 28 i.e. born 1813, and there's a marriage on 8th June 1840 a Frances Holliss married Thomas Chilton. Her father Henry Holliss lives next door (in 1841 Census), but his father is Richard Chilton. I had initially thought this was the 1807, with an error in the ages, but there were only 3 Thomas's with father Richard around that age (1807, 1814 & 1816). However I've found the death of the 1807 one - he died "Thos Shilton" in 1810 in Lilleshall , so you can exclude that. Parents of the 1807 & 1814 were both "Richard & Mary" so maybe they had a second child after the first died.

Yes the 1811 one from Dawley is likely that married Elizabeth Handley in 1833 and the one in the census.

The post piqued my interest and I can say that it is quite likely the 1808 one.

I've just looked at the british newspaper archive and there is an article about it in Salopian Journal on 25 March 1835. Due to copyright restrictions on this site I can't put what it says, you may want to get a sub or credits and look as its quite interesting. It describes the events of the Robbery and says it occurred in Wenlock.

So whilst it is possible its another Thomas who was in Wenlock that night, it does look like its safe to say its the 1808 one.

Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor