Author Topic: Kent look ups Henry Swan birth  (Read 8003 times)

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kent look ups Henry Swan birth
« on: Friday 02 March 07 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Request look up for Henry Swan Born abt 1827.
 Kent
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kent look ups Henry Swan birth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Any idea where in Kent?   The IGI on www.familysearch.org has several Henry Swans baptised around that time and as it is not full coverage there could be many more. Have you found him in a census?  If you can quote that it might help.  If you have a marriage certificate that will give his father's name which will be very helpful.
Andrea

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The only info I have is from his death certificate in Australia.
It says he married an Ann Tuff Golding on 12/7/ 1855 in what looks like Kewington but I guess this is either Kensington or Kennington.  1841 census in Kent  and 1851 census says he was in Middlesex If it was him. One family tree on the net says his mother was Jane Swan(Clark) But again I am unsure if this is my Henry. Hope this helps
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 07 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage Ann Tuff GOLDING to Henry SWAN in the June quarter of 1856 registered in the Milton (Kent) registration district (includes the village of Newington near Sittingbourne) ref. 2a 867.

The date would be a bit out (June quarter covers April, May, June) and 1856 instead of 1855 but perhaps the person registering the death wasn't too sure of the exact date.  Given the names, it does look pretty certain that it's the correct marriage.

A copy of the marriage certificate should give you some more details ie. father's name & occupation (assuming he wasn't illegitimate) to help confirm what you have already and help you move forwards.

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I think getting the marriage certificate would be a good start.  You can search all BMDs free at www.ancestry.co.uk   Choose the complete version and then you can search each quarter.  However - the only Henry Swan marriage I could see in that year and quarter was in Farnham and I could not find a corresponding Ann Golding, or Ann Tuff.  Just realised you might mean 7th Dec not Aug 12th but can't see him then either.   However it is always possible that the person registering the death got the year wrong so to do a wider search would be well worth while.
Yes - the marriage is registered in Milton, Kent in the April/May/June quarter of 1856.   ref 2a 867
You can find it on the FreeBMD site and on ancestry.co.uk
Andrea
PS see you beat me to it Casalguidi!

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all that have helped me. We took the risk from Australia and ordered Henry Swan's and Ann Tuff Golding's marriage certificate. They were married in Newington on 12/6/1856 in Newington parish, Newington.  It was registered in Milton. Henry's father was Samuel Swan (a labourer) and Ann's father was Edmund Golding ( a farmer) Henry and Ann were both aged 28 so born abt 1828. Even with this info I am still unable to find either Ann or Henry's births. I hope someone can help. Maybe info from a census to find their mother's names?
Thanks
Shauna from Downunder

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shauna
Think I may have found them in 1861 with daughters Ann, 4 and Eliza 8 months.  If this is the correct family then I will try to trace back in 1851.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is the family in 1861
Bill Street, Strood
Henry Swan Head Mar 35 Ag Lab b Kent Milton
Ann Wife Mar b Kent Chatham
Ann Dau 4 b Kent Strood
Eliza Dau 8 months b Kent Frindsbury
Ref RG9 474 160

The ages of the daughters fit in with the marriage date but Henry seems a bit old and Ann a bit young!
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara
This isnt them as they left in Dec 1856 to go to Victoria, Australia. Which is where they had their children( Frances 1858, Samuel 1859, Jane 1861, Jesse Ann 1867, Henry Richard 1869 and Rhoda 1872). I think they were both possibly with there parents in 1841 or living separately if this can be found.