Author Topic: Pemberton family, Whitchurch  (Read 9434 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Pemberton family, Whitchurch
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 May 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
Our replies crossed!!!!

Thanks for the confirmations..........always best to be sure :D

So, I think we can say that in the 1881 the enumerator got it wrong.....William was, in fact, a Widower.

Right, going back to the marriage:
3/Nov/1853
William Routledge, 24, Batchelor, Labourer, residence: Castle of Chester, Father: John Routledge, Mason

Mary Pemberton, 19, Spinster (no profession given), residence: Castle Street, Father; John Pemberton, Labourer.

What do you think of this family that I found earlier?
HO107/903/6 Page 8 Line 10 - Dodington, Whitchurch, Shropshire

All Pemberton

John Pemberton 45 Gardener Y
Sarah 17 Y
Mary 10 Y
James 8 Y
Hannah 4 Y

BUT, without a birth for Mary nothing can be certain......how annoying >:(
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 May 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed - how annoying! >:(

But that's my lot all over - people pop up from nowhere, get married, have a string of kids and then disappear off the face of the earth!  ???

Going back to the marriage in Gt Boughton, William's father is given as John Routledge. As far as I can determine I have this for William's parentage, from the Hayton Baptismal registers:

Bap.  1826  Privately Baptized 30 May // 27 Aug.   William, Son of John & Jane
      ROUTLEDGE, Hayton, Labourer

(and his parent's marriage:
John ROUTLEDGE of this Parish Bachelor and Jane HETHERINGTON of this Parish Spinster were married in this Church by Licence this 17th December 1818 by John LEACH Assistant Curate.
This Marriage was            }   John ROUTLEDGE his x mark
solemnized between us:  }   Jane ROUTLEDGE late HETHERINGTON her x mark
In the Presence of:       David WATT, John HALL

So, the William and Mary marriage certificate might well be correct - and the Mary Pemberton christening could be a different Mary.

Oh well, thanks for all your efforts - I expect the missing parts of the jigsaw are out there somewhere....! :-\
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 May 07 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thing is.........this is really bugging me now ;D

William's baptism looks good, as does his parents' marriage.  Just wish we could find the same for Mary :(

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that William and Jane were abroad during the 1861 census, so I've been looking at the 1851 to see if I can find them.

I must admit that it does seem rather odd that they were married in Chester, doesn't it?  I assumed that it was usual to marry in the bride's home town, but maybe I'm wrong.

Have you found out anything about William's time in the Royal Artillery - that may help locate him in 1861.

I shall keep looking........(in the 1851 I've come across 5 William Routledge of the right age, and all born in Cumberland :'( :'( :'( :'( :'()
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:22 BST (UK) »

Mmmmm...found this in 1841

HO107/168 Folio 3 Page 15 - Stockdale Hall, Faugh, Hayton, Cumberland

Adam Routledge 60 (can't read occupation) Y
Hannah Dodd 20 FS Y
Thomas Milburn 20 MS Y
William Routledge 16 MS Y

and on the previous page, listed before Stockdale Hall:

Heads Nook

Jane Routledge    }70 Farmer Y
Joshua Routledge } 40 Y

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 May 07 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've seen this - there's a connection - they all inter-bred up there!

In 1861 William was in Bermuda, taken from a transcription of Baptisms for St George, Bermuda:

Amelia Rutledge, father William, Cpl RA,  mother Mary, baptised 13 Jan. 1861.

Definitely the right family despite the spelling; Amelia was known in the family as Cassie - quote from my recently deceased aunt " the natives couldn't pronounce Amelia and called her something that sounded like Cassie, and it just stuck!"

So, we know where William and Mary were then! Although Bermuda was a British territory, there was apparently no census carried out!

They had the following children (just so you get an idea of thier movements):

Mary Jane b.c.1854 Gosport
William b.c.1857 Ireland
Amelia (Cassie) b.c.1861 Bermuda
James b.c 1863 Gosport
Jacob Ernest b. 1865 Pembroke Dock SW
                     (d.1872)Carlisle
Richard b. 1867 Hayton
Emma b.c.1870 Carlisle
Susan Agatha b. 1871 Carlisle
            (d.23/11/1904)
Jacob b.c.1873 Carlisle

I expect William may have had postings to different areas, therefore the children were born all over the place!
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline SteVP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
This is the Routledge marriage from the IGI;
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFBL-6KR
This estimated 1834 birth date for Mary Pemberton, and the indication her father was John Pemberton, suggests we're cousins, Stoney! Mary was my gt gt grandfather's sibling, methinks. I have PMd you with my email.
Ryder (Manchester); Rouse (Middlesex); Johnson (Manchester); Tinsley (Liverpool); Gibson (Liverpool + Glasgow); Gee (Lancashire); Paterson (Glasgow); Pemberton (Shropshire and Denbighshire).

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 May 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I thinl that I might have found William in 1861,

1861 Worldwide Army Index

William Routledge
Number:148
Unit:7th Brigade R.A.
Regiment Stationed at:Jamaica; Bermuda; Quebec; Kingston (CAN); Halifax (CAN); Barbados
National Archives reference:WO10 / 2544

Looks like he has been promoted  :)

His Army records are on FindMyPast let me know if you can see them or if you would like me to transcribe them for you.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SteVP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 May 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Increasingly convinced that this Mary Pemberton was the first child of Martha Pemberton, baptised 5 October 1834 at Myddle, Shropshire. Illegitimate, she is likely to have been raised in the first instance by her maternal grandparents - John Pemberton and his wife Mary (nee Painter) - in Astley, Shropshire. In the 1851 census she is 18 and living as a servant at an inn-keepers in Churton by Farndon, Cheshire. Martha her mother is to be found a mile away at Farndon in the 1841 census but had married (to a Timothy Chaloner) in Wrexham on 4 March, 1850.
Mary's marriage to William Routledge shows the right age but shows her father to be labourer John Pemberton. I think that Mary has substituted her grandfather for her unknown father. The church used is only about eight miles from Churton by Farndon, and whilst someone pointed out earlier in the thread that marriages were and are normally held at the parish church of the bride, I think this was because her father normally paid the costs, which wouldn't apply in this case.
Ryder (Manchester); Rouse (Middlesex); Johnson (Manchester); Tinsley (Liverpool); Gibson (Liverpool + Glasgow); Gee (Lancashire); Paterson (Glasgow); Pemberton (Shropshire and Denbighshire).

Offline Narnster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 April 16 23:25 BST (UK) »
Is anyone interested in reopening this old conversation?!  It's actually the Routledge part of it that I'm interested in because I think William is my gt gt grandmother's brother.  The only problem is that in this string of comments the parents of William are (as far as I know) the correct parents for Mary but then... I found a death for that William at the age of 12!!!
Routledge, Newhouse, Rogers, Lowes/Lowis, Haddow, Coats, Graham, Boothman, Turner, Sanderson, Bowman, Ennis