Author Topic: Silas.T. Kenyon  (Read 2859 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Silas.T. Kenyon
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
 I have a business card stating

established 1883 address 16 Collins St West Melbourne & Lygon St Brunswick.
Mr S T Kenyon having returned from Europe begs to inform you that he has resumed business business as Estate Agent, Valuer & Loan Broker at the above address.

I don't know whether anyone will be able to help me -  I am looking for the arrival  of Silas T Kenyon with wife Mary Alice with possible children Travis & Alice. Silas was born Oldham Lancashire 1856 and married there in 1878. Son Travis was born there in 1881 & Alice born there in March 1883 so they must have gone to Australia not long after Alice was born.

They had a third child Amelia born Oldham Lancashire 1892. So they obviously came back to England some time between 1883 & 1892. If anyone can confirm when he returned to England I would be very grateful.

To complicate this search they then emigrated to California USA in 1893 but that is going to require a new topic to lookup I think.

Is anyone up for the challenge?

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silas.T. Kenyon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 07 09:19 GMT (UK) »
U.S. census 1900 San Francisco, California

Silas T Kenyon  May 1856  aged 44 England Head Married 20, year emigrated U.S. 1869, number of years in U.S. 31 years  Basket maker
Mary A Kenyon 1852 aged 48 England Wife  Married 20 years 3 children 3 living arrived U.S. 1893 number of years in U.S. 7 years
Travis Kenyon May 1881 19 years  England  Son arrived U.S. 1893 number of years in U.S. 7 years Delivery clerk 
Alice Kenyon  March 1883  aged 17 England Daughter arrived U.S. 1893 Number of years in U.S. 7 years Musician
Amelia Kenyon November 1893 aged 7  England Daughter arrived U.S. 1893 number of years in U.S. 7 years

Same details 1910 - basket maker rattan, arrived in U.S. 1868. Widower 1920 census, date of arrival into U.S. 1893

Arrived on the ship Arizona 15th May 1893 in New York from Liverpool. Silas' occuation a farmer bound for San Francisco

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information Valda.

This man certainly moved about a lot if he went out to the US in 1869. He was on the Oldham census for 1871 & 1881 and then shortly after to Australia. I wonder if he was there in 1891 because I can't find him in Oldham and you do not mention seeing him in the US in 1890 althouth the 1900 US census states his length of time there was 31 years. Perhaps it was only a short time in Australia.

If anyone can find him on a passage to Australia I would appreciate it.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi dinkey,

S T Kenyon and family (Wife M or Mrs ST along with Travis and Alice) are listed in the Unassisted Immigration to Victoria  index twice. (In 1883 Mrs Esther KENYON aged 51 was also aboard)

30 Aug 1883 Respigadera

31 Nov 1887 Elmgamite

http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The 1890 U.S. census was completely destroyed in a fire. On the 1920 census Silas changed his date of arrival to 1893. The 1868/9 visit, if it occurred, could only have been short as the family was in Oldham in 1871 and Silas was then only 14.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for this very helpful information.

Kris the link you gave was very useful as I think I found that Silas's parents John & Esther Kenyon also went out to Victoria in 1895.

I also have reason to believe that Silas's brother Abraham L Kenyon born 1865 Oldham was also in Australia in the 1920's. I can't see him on this list. Have you any idea where I might find him.

As I have no idea what happened to the parents John & Esther after 1895 I wondered whether they remained in Australia and died there or did they move to San Francisco with Silas and died there.

Can you give me any idea where to look for them

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 07 05:58 GMT (UK) »

Hi
This may shed light on Abraham L. and Esther and John
They are intered together at Coburg Cemetery which is in he vicinity of Brunswick which was mentioned on Silas's card.

Abraham Linclon Kenyon 1943 @77
Abraham L. 1911 @ 5 weeks
John 1915 @81
Esther 1917 @ 86 Alice 1917 @79
John Francis 1962 @66
Sarah 1907 @45

http://www.fcmp.com.au
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thank you very much for finding this information.

I have looked at the link you have given and there does not appear to be a headstone confirming the relationships of all those buried in the grave.

There  is a Sarah and Alice. Could they both have been the wives of Abraham. How do I search for his marriage records. I presume he married in Australia.

I had no details regarding Abraham's marriage or children.

I am trying to piece this family together and would appreciate any help.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dinky,
I note in a follow up to Kris's immigration findings that in 1883 Esther accompanied Silas to Vic. [as noted]
In 1895, She and John come into Vic together per GERA
Looks like a bit of to & fro for her too.

About Abraham.
I think you may be right in guessing he married here in Vic.
There are 2 Victorian marriage index entries for a person of that name.
One to Alice, one to Sarah.
Perhaps John Francis and the baby were from these marriages
This link will take you to Vic BMD to do a preliminary search

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/IdxSearch?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

You may like to ask on this board for someone who has the cd's of these indexes to look more closely for you.[ Many do and will be pleased to help I'm sure]
After that if you feel it is warranted, a certificate can be ordered online.  not too expensive

Keep us posted
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk