Author Topic: Gamaliel Ripley - Saddleworth  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Dee321eeD

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Gamaliel Ripley - Saddleworth
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would appreciate a lookup for the baptism of a Gamaliel Ripley c1805 in Saddleworth or thereabouts.  This is the place of birth given on the census.  He died in 1857.

I have his marriage in 1827 to Betty Baron in Rochdale, St. Chad's.  He was a stone mason and there are families upon families of Ripley Stonemasons in Saddleworth.

Dee
Woodhead,Welsby,-Ches.<br />Garlick,-Yorks./Derbs<br />Gilmore,Honeywood-Manchester,Lancs<br />Sinfield,-Beds,Bucks,Derbyshire<br />Partridge-Beds<br /><br />Howcroft-Lancs,Ches<br />Price-Ches<br />Teece-Shrops<br />

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Gamaliel Ripley - Saddleworth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Cant find a baptism, he is on the 41 and 51 census, do you need that info.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Dee321eeD

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
Blimey sorry, I just noticed that I hadnt replied to your reply.  No thanks I have the information for the 41 and 51 census.  Just need this information to try and get further back along this line.

Thanks for replying.
Dee
Woodhead,Welsby,-Ches.<br />Garlick,-Yorks./Derbs<br />Gilmore,Honeywood-Manchester,Lancs<br />Sinfield,-Beds,Bucks,Derbyshire<br />Partridge-Beds<br /><br />Howcroft-Lancs,Ches<br />Price-Ches<br />Teece-Shrops<br />

Offline amaliepiers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I realise this is a reply to a very old post but I saw you were active recently and I'm hoping you might be able to help....you posted about Gamaliel Ripley, and he seems to be an ancestor of mine too (through his daughter Fanny/then Dysons through to Annie Dyson & Edgar Dutton).  I only have the info you had at the time of the post so I wondered if you managed to go any further?
I'm pretty much a beginner, in fact this is my first message at Rootschat.  I have access to Findmypast.co.uk and Ancestry.com (the US version although I've not really gone into that yet as I'm the first member of our family to go to the US - I think - I only mentioned it in case I can look up anything for you in return...)
thanks! I look forward to hearing from you,
Ali

Offline Annthmmx299

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Gamaliel Ripley's baptism is still proving very elusive to me.  I wondered if any readers were further on with Gamaliel circa Yorkshire/Lancashire?  Ann Flint and Leonie Chester in Oldham, Greater Manchester.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:54 GMT (UK) »
 D. Nield was witness at all 3 weddings below and was not a resident witness for the church

William Ripley, mason X Mary Harrison, spinster both of  Strines (Saddleworth) on 26 Aug 1822 marriage  St Chad, in Rochdale parish

William son of William and Mariah Ripley Bapt 5th Oct 1800
at  Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel in Halifax -

Poss age 22 at marriage
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gamaliel Ripley, mason X Betty Baron spinster  Spinster both of Saddleworth, 26th November 1827   marriage  St Chad, in Rochdale parish

Baptism about 1805 (Prob Halifax non conformist ?)and parents unknown

Poss age 22 at marriage
~~~~~~~~-----------------
George Ripley, mason X Hannah Harrison, Spinster both of Saddleworth 22nd August 1831  marriage  St Chad, in Rochdale parish

George son of William and Mariah Ripley  Bapt 30 April 1809 at
Bethel Methodist New Connexion Chapel at Halifax

poss aged 22 at marriage
---------------------------------------------

Halifax parish and Rochdale parish border at Saddleworth

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Maps/WRYParishes.gif

Click on map for large view
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline 2me2u

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Re Gamaliel Ripley
I now have a record of Gamaliel dating back to 17th October 1816 when as a child he and his parents were evicted from their home in Southowram Yorkshire. He later appears in Saddleworth census along with his brothers George and John and later his mother Mary after she was widowed from William. The text is from the Leeds Court Sessions and reads:
"Upon hearing an appeal of the Churchwardens and Overseers of the poor of the Parish Township or Place of in Hipperholme with Brighouse in the said Riding against and Adjudication and order under the Hands and Seals of John Deardin and Thomas Horton Esquires two of his Majesty's  Justices of the Peace and for the said Riding bearing date the fifteenth day of June last made for removal of William Ripley and Mary his wife and Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Gamaliel, George and John their children from the Township of Southowram in the said Riding to the said Parish Township or Place of Hipperholme with Brighouse. It is ordered that the said Order of Removal be confirmed."