Author Topic: History of Kilquade House- COMPLETED  (Read 16840 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History of Kilquade House- COMPLETED
« on: Monday 05 March 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone out there have any information on the history of Kilquade House? The current owners kindly replied to my queries but have no historical information prior to the 1960s.

I have an indenture document, dated 1825, for my GGGG-grandfather (I think) stating that he is Henry Cuthbert son of Robert Cuthbert, steward to John T O'Reilly of Kilquade house.

I would love to know a bit more about the house and the people who lived there, what Robert's job would have involved, and any Cuthbert family details for this family.  I believe the house was built around 1780 and its location is somewhere near Kilcoole.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: History of Kilquade House
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya DudleyWinchurch,

I phoned the librarian at the Local History Department of Wicklow Libraries and as a result of the conversation we had I've just opened a thread on Buildings of Ireland on the Irish Resources board.  You may find something about Kilquade House there. If you have no luck post again and I'll get back to the librarian in Wicklow.

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland mentions that the property belonged to Hunter O'Reilly in 1837.

Chris

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris,

I had just found your other message and checked and unfortunately, only the gates (and what appears to be a small gatehouse) are represented on the site.

If the library have any further information or even know where the papers from the original owners might be deposited, I would be delighted to hear. 

I am not having much luck with my Irish roots at present.  My paternal g-grandparents were from Mayo according to just one of the English census forms they were reported on, but no further clues as yet where to look. My maternal grandmother's family seem to have no birth records and even the little information for which I do have evidence doesn't seem to be taking me any further.

Sorry, forgot to add that my ancestor Henry Cuthbert was described as the (second) son of Robert Cuthbert steward to John T O'Reilly of Kilquade House in 1825.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
I may have something, Dudley.

Dún Laoghaire Genealogical Society Journal - ISSN 0791-6523

DLGSJ Vol. 6 No. 4 The Winter1997 issue of the DLGS Journal features Residuary Account by Rory Stanley
(John Tracy O'Reilly, Esquire of Kilquade House, Co. Wicklow - died 14th October 1841).

A copy of that Journal may be in the Local History Dept of the Wicklow Library.

I'm still looking at sites on the web to see if there's anything more.

Chris

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that too.  Is that the same article on the Irish Genealogy site Journal page?  I emailed them for details but got no response.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that too.  Is that the same article on the Irish Genealogy site Journal page?  I emailed them for details but got no response.

They sound like helpful people DW. I suggest you try emailing the Local History Department of Wicklow Library and ask if they have that magazine could they send you a photo copy of the article. They probably have some other documents on the O'Reilly family.  You won't get much response till after Easter.

Library Service - Wicklow County Council - Link  

Chris

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 14:29 BST (UK) »
A huge huge thankyou to  Moscan who has found information from a number of different sources for me on this subject.  She consulted the Wicklow library service on my behalf and I now have various documents on the House, the area and local villages, the O'Reilly family and some Cuthbert references to follow up.

;D  :D ;D  :D ;D

Special thanks also to Christopher for all the suggestions and to Robert of the Wicklow library service for all his efforts and the documents he found for me.

By chance today I found another piece of the jigsaw through a link from Rootschat to the Tracy family website.

O'Reilly, Capt. John Tracy (late of 5th Dragoons), of H.E.I. Co.'s 3rd Regt. of Native Cavalry=Hunter, Isabella Sarah, only child of Andrew, of Queen St., Edinburgh, late of Bengal, in St. Mary's Church, at Madras, 1 July, 1807 Jan. 1808 p. 62

which confirms that the John T O'Reilly of Kilquade House mentioned in our apprenticeship document married Isabella Sarah Hunter, .... linking to the name of Hunter O'Reilly - presumably their son and heir, and giving me more details on the person named as Robert Cuthbert's employer.

.. another brickwall is crashing down...

I'm off to have a really good look through all these papers. it feels like Christmas!

Offline NiallHudson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: History of Kilquade House- COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
I know a little of a large house in Kilquade. I'm not sure if its the same one. Its North of Druids Glen Golf course.
My family owned it from the first half of the 1900s. They were Gilmores. Their nephew Jack Hudson managed it.
If anyone can confirm to me where this house is it would be great.
Someone even said it was knocked down?? hope not
Niall

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of Kilquade House- COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Kilquade House
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,728497,707661,11,9
clicking on Street Map will show how much of it is left today.

Woodstock House is between Druids Glen and Kilquade House.
Well it seems to be in the middle of the golf course now so I guess it's part of Druids Glen now.