Author Topic: Alexander alias Mansell  (Read 18276 times)

Offline Eveline A Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander alias Mansell
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 March 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lawrence

I am not sure why I wasn't advised that there was a post on this subject.  So I have only just picked it up.

I have all your ancestors in my family tree down to William born c 1775 who married Anne Burnett in 1803 in Westminster.   I haven't gone down the tree any further than that.

I have discovered over the last couple of days that Ralph's sister Anne married a William Southern, I am now trying to find out whether William and Ralph's first wife Margaret Southern were related, perhaps siblings.

Margaret being your ancester whereas Bill is descended from his second wife Jane Lee.    I am still trying to chase the marriage of Thomas Ingles to Alice (although I might be proved wrong, I still think she might be a Bloxham as this is where the Bloxham Ingles - Ingles Bloxham seemed to start with their children.

Eric, You are interested in Warwickshire, There is a Dorothy Bloxham born Great Alne, Warwickshire who married Phillip Lyttleton of Studley Castle.   This Dorothy is also descended from Ralph Bloxham.   Her ancestors are Ralph, Robert, Thomas, Richard and Robert (born Offenham and died Great Alne).  This Dorothy's granddaughter (another Elizabeth) was born Studley.

Is that any help in getting the Warwickshires/Worcestershires/Bloxhams all together in one family

Eveline

Offline Lawrence99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eveline

Thanks for that.  I assume you have found a parish record for the marriage of Anne and William Southern.  I have William Southerne marrying Agnes Ingles Bloxham on 24 September 1542.  Is this the same record?

I also have two Blox(h)am pedigrees.  One (from the Visitation of the County of Worcester in 1682-3, later edited and printed in 1883) takes the Bloxham line back to Ralph and his wife Margaret Southerne.  The other, whose origin I do not know but which was written up by a Richard Bloxam in 1926, takes the line 2 generations further back, to Thomas Ingles (ob. 1556) and his wife "Alice, dau. and heiress of ....Bloxham, ob. 28/1/1557)" and to John Ingles of Mickleton.  I don't know the evidence for Alice's parentage, while my reading of the parish record was that she was buried on 28 June, not Jan.  Like you, I have not found a record of her marriage to Thomas.

Have you been able to take the Southernes back at all?

Regards

Lawrence

Offline Eveline A Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lawrence

Yes I found Agnes married to William 24th September 1542.    But daft as it may seem, I thought I put a load of marriages that I couldn't find in the tree on to a word document, but I cannot find that now and I was only reading it now.    I am almost definitely definitely sure that I had an Anne Bloxham Ingles marrying a Sowtherne, I was ploughing through Phillimores on screen.   I had a couple of other Sowtherne's marrying into our Bloxham, Mauncel, Cartwright family on there as well - not only from Aston Subedge.   I will keep on looking for it, but if I don't find it I will go back online to find Phillimores again.   What I cannot understand is why I didn't put this marriage straight on to the tree.

Regarding other peoples trees.    I prefer to look up the answers for myself and sometimes they pan out and at others they don't.   I do look at other peoples trees, but then I try to go to the registers to qualify the information.   When I lived in Worcester I made several trips to Gloucester to confirm information I had from an American Ben Bloxham and everything he had in his tree panned out OK.  He had John Ingulls of Mickleton, but said that it was not a proven link.

The visitations are a good source of information, but when you get back to earlier dates, the information is from the descendants and it is possible that their memory might play tricks.   My tree goes back to Thomas Ingles who married Alice (hopefully Bloxham) circa 1518 has been proved by his will.   I have the transcript of his will which I can let you have if you write to me direct.  In this he gives his wife's name as Alys.    As yet it has not been proved that she was Alice Bloxham, but it is a strong possibility as that is when the Ingulls alias Bloxham started.   I have Thomas as being buried 6th Jan 1556 and Alice as 28th June 1557/8 depending upon which calendar is used

John Ingulls who was living in Mickleton unfortunately we do not have dates for him as even his will was undated and I haven't been able to find a burial record in Mickleton for him either although in his will he wrote And my body to be buryed in the churcheyard of Mykyelton.   We know from his will that he had 8 children and although the will was "mouse eaten" along the the right hand side, we know three of the children were Wylyam, Rose, Thomas but non of the others.  There is no mention of a wife, but she might have died before him.    Because Ralph was living in Subedge, but asked to be buried at Mickleton, we have tentatively put John Ingulls as being the father of OUR Thomas, but of course he might be a completely different Thomas.   I suppose a visit to the churchyard in Mickleton might be worth a visit, especially if the church is open, if Thomas was well off as he must have been he might have a memorial in the actual church.

There is a certain amount of proof that there were Ingles/Ingulls/Ingelles and other deriviatives in Gloucester from 1268, but because of a lack of parish records before 1530 it is difficult to plough back much further.

I can send you a copy of my Bloxham family tree complete with notes of where the information came from starting with John Ingles but that will be over 30 pages, so I cannot put it here.   

I think what I am saying in a roundabout way is that I agree with Richard Bloxam from 1926.  Thomas was definitely Ralph's father, Ralph is in his will and probably John is Thomas's father.

In answer to your question about the Sowthernes.    Margaret was baptised at Holy Cross, Pershore father John Sowtherne, but I have not gone back any further as I said, Bill's ancestor was Jane Lee his other wife whose father was Anthony according to Ben Bloxham, this is one of the very few things that Ben had written down which I couldn't prove in one way or another.

I would also be interested in seeing your tree unfortunately with us Bill's Bloxhams only come down to Sarah Bloxham who was Christened in 1733 to William Brick in Upton on Severn.  So our Bloxham line is not into the 20th century like yours.

Eveline

Offline wendy batchlor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander alias Mansell - The reason behind the surname
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 January 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Alexander was probably the earliest known member of this family and he came from (Frampton) Mansell, which is about 15 miles from Charlton Kings, near Cheltenham. He would have been known as Alexander de Mauncel, and his eldest son as Alexander (of) Alexander de Mauncel, the patronymic. The family were later known as Mansell, but in the 16th/17th century as Alexander alias Mansell.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 November 20 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully some of you will get notified.
I am descended from Susan Mansell alias Alexander, daughter of Thomas and Alice nee Netherton.
As far as I am aware from my research this family was originally Alexander, but somewhere along the line one married a Mansell daughter. However, having read about the property given by an Alexander of Duntesborne to a William Mansell, it suggests that possibly here is the connection somehow.
Also, I'd be happy to know where in the visitations the Alexander/Mansell family are. I could only find a passing reference in the 1686 edition.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.