Author Topic: Murder in Horsforth 1891  (Read 13834 times)

Offline Ncooper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Horsforth 1891
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi came across this purely by chance I see the last Post was 2009 but was interested as the girl was my grandads great aunt and his middle name was whitham I did not know the significance of this as I know nothing about his family his full name was Samuel whitham Waterhouse and lived in horsforth. I would be keen to hear from anyone who has any more family details?

Offline dtdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica and NCooper it is likely that we are all related somewhere down the line.  I moved away from Horsforth in the mid 70's (my parents are still there, so i visit regularly).

I did collect a hugh amount of archive press coverage relating to the murder from the central library in Leeds which makes for interesting reading, including the speculation that the London Ripper may have travelled to Yorkshire! I still have the information plus some photographs recovered from my uncle following his death. It was quite bizarre as the library is/was the town hall where her body was deposited by Turner and his Mother.

My Gran would have been Barbaras younger sister had she lived.

I did intend to put something together but haven't quite got around to it...

Must keep in touch....albeit its a long time since i viewed this page, but will return periodically.

Best wishes....

Offline marieliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 November 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessica
Read your family link to poor little Barbara Waterhouse with interest since I am currently researching the whole sad story.
I note that your family have a copy of the police report. Might this include the inquest details by perchance?
Would be so grateful for any insight you may be able to offer as to the contents of the report if at all possible. Thank you for your time. Marie

Offline marieliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 November 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
DTDOWNSOUTH.

I too began collecting info about the Horsforth case back in 1999, then put it away until I got it out again this year. Just going through the info I have at hand now. Be glad to have your thoughts on the case?

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:45 GMT (UK) »
According to the marriage register both Thomas Joy & Jessie Maria Turner were deaf and dumb
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline marieliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 March 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
According to the marriage register both Thomas Joy & Jessie Maria Turner were deaf and dumb
DTDOWNSOUTH. Thanks for reply. I know this might sound odd, but I don't feel that the police got their man even though he had previous form. Something is not quite right. What are your thoughts on the matter? Marie.

Offline marieliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 March 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
DTDOWNSOUTH.

I too began collecting info about the Horsforth case back in 1999, then put it away until I got it out again this year. Just going through the info I have at hand now. Be glad to have your thoughts on the case?

DTDOWNSOUTH
Unsure the police actually got the right man even though he did have previous form. Marieliza

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 March 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting post
Is this the same walter who attempted to murder his wife in 1889 in shipley.
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline marieliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Interesting post
Is this the same walter who attempted to murder his wife in 1889 in shipley.
Lee

Yes Lee it is.