Author Topic: Broker and Clancy in St Marylebone  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Broker and Clancy in St Marylebone
« on: Wednesday 07 March 07 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Have decided to put in a bit of work on my lines (my husbands are much easier as we live in Suffolk and so did his ancestors - 36 years of research have taken me back to the 1400s  ;D

Most of my roots seem to be firming planted in Middlesex/London.

My grandmother Mary Ann Matilda Murray nee Clancy is causing me a few problems.

I have spent many mornings at the FRC lugging those huge volumes around trying to find her birth without success.  I was hoping to find a couple of leads regarding her parents if I ordered her birth certificate.

Her mother was Elizabeth Broker and her father Edward Cornelius Clancy.  Of course there is a family story behind this - she was a young lady and he was the Irish labourer who enticed her away ;D

All the children were raised as RCatholic and I have my grandmother's confirmation paper.
It states that she was baptised at the church of the Holy Rosary in Marylebone on 13th March 1898 (her birthday was 12th January).

I have found the family in 1901 Census with my Nan there and Great Aunt Nell as a new little baby.  Edward states his birthplace as Marylebone, not Cork as always assumed by the family.  He sounds a character, a scaffolder he fell off several roofs in his career (including when he was working on one of the new stores in London at the time, Selfridges in Oxford Street).  He died as a result of Pernicious Anaemia.  My late mum used to say he had TB and PA and and she remembered he used to sit by an open window to get fresh air, and was made to eat raw liver to help with the PA.  Poor man  :(
Today it is treated with an injection of Vit B12 every three months.

Having found details this morning of a marriage between Elizabeth Broker and Edward Clancy in Marylebone 1890 - I shall now send off for the Certificate.

But if anyone can find Edward and Elizabeth in 1891 or can tell me about the PRs at the church of the Holy Rosary I would be very grateful.

In the family Edward was only ever known as 'Con' - short for Cornelius, so finding Edward was a surprise and one of the reasons it took a while to track him down  ;)

Any suggestions grateully received.

Oh well, back to the washing and ironing and cleaning and ......
(family history eh? surprising what you can find to do on your day off isn't it)

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Broker and Clancy in St Marylebone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:06 GMT (UK) »

A lengthy post, yet you don't give any age(s).

Are you looking at the census for EdMUND Clancy age 30 in 1901?
RG13/1 F12

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello SM

There are two Elizabeth Broker births in the FreeBMD that might fit your Elizabeth:

Dec Qtr 1868 Ely 3b 557
Mar Qtr 1873 Kensington 1a 49

How old was Elizabeth in the 1901?

Regards

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Apologies  ;)

Yes, I did get a bit carried away didn't I?

Elizabeth as far as I can make out was born in 1873 - just found a birth that could be her, so I will send for Certificate today when I order the marriage one that I found earlier.

Yes, he is age 30 in 1901 and working as a Scaffolder.  My nan is listed there, Mary Ann age 3 and Great Aunt Nell (Helen) is age 1.

Re the 1901 Census - I think the actual image could be either Edward (or Edmund) I think the 'w' looks like a 'm'  :)

SM ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gaie

I think that the one in Kensington is worth sending for, it looks quite promising.

I am just taking this family up again after a break, but I remember when I tried to find information on the name Broker I was told it originated from the Cambridgeshire part of East Anglia - interesting to see you found an entry for Ely .

Many thanks

SM ...
I have to find two more!

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I originate from Marylebone
we had a news agent called brokers owned by a man called Johnny broker. Also knew some of the clancy family. A terry clancy was friends with my eldest brother. I have a site on FB called church st, marylebone, westminster.
I hope its alright to put this on here only there maybe relitives of the broker and clancy families on there.

Happy hunting

Sue Ault

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue, your name sounds familiar (Regent's Park/Sarah Siddons)?

I too have a FB group for family history.

Will find you and chat about Clancy and Broker connections in Marylebone.

Pat ...
I have to find two more!