Author Topic: Gey-Hitchinson marriage  (Read 1779 times)

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gey-Hitchinson marriage
« on: Wednesday 07 March 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting this here because I'm not sure which county to put it under.

I am looking for the marriage of William J. Hitchinson, born in Macclesfield in 1815 and Ann Gey, possibly born about 1813 in Taddington, Derbyshire.

Their first son, Joseph Frederick, was born in 1835, not sure where, but other children were born in Macclesfield, Leek, and Cheadle, Staffordshire.

The family later settled in the Saddleworth area of the West Riding.

I have searched for a marriage without success on Ancestry and FamilySearch, but given the unusual surnames, I suspect that even if it's there, it has been mistranscribed.

Has anyone got any bright ideas?

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gey-Hitchinson marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 01:35 BST (UK) »
I am searching for William John's sister, Harriett HITCHINSON, who married Francis WEBB in 1844 in Macclesfield, Cheshire. In doing so I have found some details on William's family and his father, Joseph HITCHINSON. How can we exchange info? Jill Statton, Adelaide, South Australia.
From Adelaide, South Australia, I am primarily interested in the WEBB family:
William - Tamworth STS, Melton Mowbray LEI
Mrs Sarah nee BINDLEY - Ealing MDX
William Thomas Bindley - South Australia
Allan - Calcutta, India
Edward Walter - Leamington WAR
Matthew - Paddington LND
Arthur Charles - South Australia
Sarah Frances - Bendigo VIC Australia
Francis - Macclesfield CHS
Mrs Charlotte HAMPSON - Doncaster YKS
George - Camberwell SRY
Charles - South Australia

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

This is my wife's family, and we have only just started doing the research.

I can tell you a little bit about Harriott (that's the spelling we have).

According to the family Bible she was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire,  1 March 1822. She married Francis Webb (b. 18 June 1818 Tamworth, Staffordshire) , although we didn't know when or where until I saw your post. He died 3 Jan 1863, and she died 20 Jan the following year.

There are no children (in fact no other Webbs) listed.

I suspect the entries in the Bible were not contemporaneous. They cover from 1818 into the 20th century, and most of them are in the same hand.

Hope this helps a bit.

We have also worked out that William and Harriet's parents were Joseph H. (no more details known) and Hannah Plant, born about 1790 in Macclesfield. If you could add anything to this we would be grateful.

Jon

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 07 02:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Jon,

Thank you SO much for details of Francis WEBB. I did not have his actual date of birth - indeed, his baptism is not recorded and the only reference to him was in a letter from his father to his brother in India in 1836, and none too complimentary it was either. I cannot trace him in the 1861 Census but both must be there, somewhere. How wonderful that you have a Family Bible, even with contemporaneous listings. Don't suppose you have any family letters which mention "poor Harriet" or records of any oral family history from other descendants?

With regard to Joseph HITCHINSON - goodness, can't the Census enumerators mess this one up? - there is a death for Joseph HITCHINSON recorded in Cheshire BMD - died 1843 aged (51) registered Macclesfield 1843/Mar quarter.

However, this Joseph may have been the silk weaver aged (50) residing at Commercial Road, Macclesfield in 1841 Census, with [wife?] Elizabeth aged (50) and [children?] James (20), Elizabeth (20) and Joseph (15) - all born Macclesfield and working in silk trade. The abovementioned Elizabeth appears to have died 1859 (60) registered Macclesfield 1859/ Mar quarter.

Perhaps Joseph remarried Elizabeth after Hannah nee PLANT died?

Joseph HITCHINSON, father of Harriett, is recorded as being a painter on her Marriage certificate, dated July 29, 1844.  Francis WEBB is also recorded as a house painter in 1851 Census, so Joseph may have resorted to painting when work in the silk industry was unavailable. Certainly those Cheshire black and white houses would need frequent painting, I would think. A curious occupation for Francis when his father and brothers were artists [or doctors etc], although I believe he may have been a sailor, and perhaps of intemperate habits, so he may have welcomed any occupation which presented itself. After all white-wash on houses is perhaps not so far from oils on canvas, when needs must. I see that your William was also a painter and paper hanger.

The Cheshire BMDs are online, not sure whether yet completed. East Macceslfield appears to be the sub-district in Chester/Cheshire for the period. The one thing that I do find curious is that the registrations for the HITCHINSON family are all recorded thus, which suggests to me that the family may have deliberately adopted that spelling to differentiate between other family members called HODGKINSON in the area. These two surnames and constantly interchanged in the Census enumerations, and can look remarkably similar when handwritten.

You might keep that in mind when searching backwards for the family. For the surname to be standardised, it would also suggest that the family was literate, although Harriett made her mark on her Marriage certificate. This last may simply have been simply for expediency as Francis WEBB also made his mark - when he should have not been quite literate as he would have received a similar good education to that of his brothers - only your William J. HITCHINSON signed, as a Witness: his wife [I believe] was also a witness - Ann HITCHINSON - and also made her mark.

I know RootsChat does not wish us to include private email addresses but I would prefer to continue this off-line. Please see my Ancestry.com.uk listings for William WEBB born 1780 Tamworth STS - this should reveal my email address and I would be pleased to hear from you direct. I am in the final throes of research for publication of a book on William WEBB and his family and so do not wish to reveal all the family secrets just yet.

I have more info and shall wait and see whether you make direct contact with me before posting more.  Jill

Allan - Calcutta, India
Matthew - Paddington LND
George - Camberwell SRY

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 07 02:49 BST (UK) »
Jon,

Sorry, but in my haste I have not only made a few typos but also may have misled you. The Joseph and Elizabeth (50) in 1841 census are recorded as HODKINSON but indexed [erroneously] as HALLKINSON. I see from my notes that I have noted they COULD be HITCHINSON.

I have not found Harriett HITCHINSON in the 1841 Census and wonder whether the family were away from Macclesfield at the time? Or are there some Census sheets too illegible to transcribe?  Shall have another look and see whether I can find another Joseph for you. If you do not have access to the Census 1841-1901 inclusive, please ask if there are any people you would like found.

Re your Bible entries for Francis WEBB - do they actually state that there was No Issue from this marriage or, in the absence of names, have you and/or the writer assumed there was no issue?  I have found a Joseph WEBB born in Macclesfield in 1840-45 which is a likely candidate which I shall follow through.  Jill
Allan - Calcutta, India
Matthew - Paddington LND
George - Camberwell SRY

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 07 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Further to Francis and Harriet WEBB nee HITCHINSON, I found their deaths registered in Liverpool on dates you gave and searched 1861 Census to find them both in Liverpool. Indexed as WELSH with birthplaces (both) of Kensworth, Warwickshire, aged (46) and (39) respectively.

They were with family of William and Sarah TAYLOR - she born Bolington, Cheshire, so likely to be friends from "home" unless they were family? Do you know whether Harriet had a sister called Sarah?  I have possible siblings as Mary Ann (married Abraham KENNERLEY) and Hannah (married William SMITH).  Can you provide her siblings, please.

Thanks, Jill
Allan - Calcutta, India
Matthew - Paddington LND
George - Camberwell SRY

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Liverpool looks very likely as you say.

There are no children (in fact no other Webbs) listed.

All I meant to imply was that I simply don't know. But I haven't found any children yet. Too many Webbs.

Nor have I found any other siblings for Harri[ott|et]. Perhaps it's the transcription problem.

BTW The Bible sometimes has it as Hitchson, but I haven't come across that elsewere, so I assume it's just wrong.

Jon