Author Topic: William Moulton, born Grosinbach (?) c1864  (Read 2540 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Moulton, born Grosinbach (?) c1864
« on: Thursday 25 November 04 21:24 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandad, William Moulton (according to the 1901 census for Nantwich, Cheshire) was born in what reads like 'Crosinbach' or 'Grosinbach', Wales, in c1864.

Firstly, does such a place exist? I've looked on maps and searched the internet, but can find no reference. What place name might I have misread?

Secondly, if it does make sense, can anybody check the 1871 census for me?

Thankyou very much. I'd be dead chuffed to have a Welsh connection!

Neil

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: William Moulton, born Grosinbach (?) c1864
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I took a look at this image myself and it looks like Cros inCar. This rings no bell and they gave no counties if someone was born in one of the other countries of the Union. I thought the closest might be Groesesgob in Flintshire or Carreghofa which is now LLanmynech [Shrop] and lastly Crucadarn in Brecknockshire. None of these appealed so I tried to identify his birth and also failed. Sorry :(
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Moulton, born Grosinbach (?) c1864
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 04 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for trying, anyway. ;)

I'll keep searching. If I can access any earlier censuses for the Nantwich area, I might find something different.

Thanks again. :D

Neil