Author Topic: Massey's of Ipstones  (Read 9476 times)

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Massey's of Ipstones
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guyana, hope I got it right (posting to you !!) ???  if not you then if anyone else sees the name Nattrass and can help me I would be delighted. I have just found my birth mother's details (dec'd) and sent for her birth cert.  this does not show her father but I have Marriage details of the man she later called father.  Thank you also to whoever sent me the email connecting me straight to your reply.  I can not seem to find where I start a new request !!!! :-[   could someone please help (I have read the "Getting started" but being a silver surfer I just need a gentle push in the right direction ;D Thank you to  whoever in advance.
Nattrass  -     Heaton  -    Segwick  -  Hammersley  -  Hall -  Prestwich.  Heartwell

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 January 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
There's a lot of 'silvers' about!  Don't worry about posting, plenty of people will read it, and the help will flow, as I've already found.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline mavat

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 April 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi 
  This to Ango
 Have just seen your post I too have Masseys from Norbury many bearing the names of Bartholomew and Sance and Brey. in fact one of my husbands aunts was Margaret Sance Massey  born  Hilton House in Hilton in 1896 Sounds  like we have the same families. Val.

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Massey's of Norbury
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 August 13 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Anjo,
I am also looking at the Norbury Masseys.  I am interested in Sense's family.  Sense, bpt 1741, married William Orpe, an itinerant Methodist preacher, in 1767.  Online, there are some letters between William Orpe and John Wesley, in which they discuss William getting married.  He left Methodism when he married Sense, though he returned to preaching those beliefs in his later years.  I'm wondering if he rejected Methodism in order to marry Sense, who was not of the same faith. Methodists were not supposed to marry out.  Are you aware of any non-conformity in the Massey family in the mid 18th century?
Carolyn

Offline Timinho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
In answer to your question regarding the religious outlook of the Massey family I would suggest a look at some of Sense's relations. Her grandfather John Massey was at the top of a line that moved from Norbury to Swarkestone and then on to Dunmow and Vange in Essex, where some of the family were quite prominent in the Quaker community. Also there was a movement of Masseys from around the Wirral and Cheshire through Derbyshire and on to Ely, and then to Tilbury in the new world, indicating some form of religious dissention.

My interest, though, is tying John Massey (b.1671 in Norbury, d.1740 Swarkestone) into the rest of the Massey family. Once that is done I can start going out sideways along the branches of the family. As it is I have a direct line back to John.

Offline Val Massey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 September 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
In answer to your question regarding the religious outlook of the Massey family I would suggest a look at some of Sense's relations. Her grandfather John Massey was at the top of a line that moved from Norbury to Swarkestone and then on to Dunmow and Vange in Essex, where some of the family were quite prominent in the Quaker community. Also there was a movement of Masseys from around the Wirral and Cheshire through Derbyshire and on to Ely, and then to Tilbury in the new world, indicating some form of religious dissention.

My interest, though, is tying John Massey (b.1671 in Norbury, d.1740 Swarkestone) into the rest of the Massey family. Once that is done I can start going out sideways along the branches of the family. As it is I have a direct line back to John.

Offline evenlodie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 September 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
My direct ancestors are Masseys from Alstonefield/Ilam in Staffordshire. Recently through wills held by Lichfield Diocese I made the connection to the Masseys of Norbury/Swarkestone. The wills are available through FindMyPast. (Bartholomew Massey died 1771 mentions his brother John of Roston and brother-in-law William Marten of Hilton)

I have traced my 4th cousin 4 times removed as Ada Cecile Granville Wright a prominent suffragette. Her mother was Sarah Jane Massey born in Swarkestone.

Would be interested in seeing how the Masseys of Ipstones tie in.

Offline BRC53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna
I think my great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother was Anna Massey. She married Thomas Slack in Ipstones in 1708. Thomas was born in 1680. I don't have Anna's birth year, but I think she died in Ipstones in 1756.
Please let me know if this ties in with any of your ancestors.

Offline BRC53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
I think my GGGGGGM Anna Massey may have been born in Ipstones in 1687 (baptised 1 May). Her parents were Roberti and Annae Massey.