Author Topic: 1861 Census Look-up Please  (Read 2603 times)

Offline patty

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 Census Look-up Please
« on: Friday 09 March 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
If someone would be so kind - I am looking for information on William and Elizabeth Bryden and son William Bryden who would appear as a 3 yr old in the 1861 census.  There may also be a brother Robert. 
Unrelated but important - is it better to subscribe to Scotlands People or Ancestry.com to research Scottish BMD and census documents?  I don't have enough money for both, so I would like to get the best value for my money.
Many thanks

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Look-up Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People - you can view and download original images including certificates, but you do have to be careful to "narrow down" the correct people before using credits to view. You can also buy credits when necessary, and now they've changed the expiration from (I think 6 to 90 days), it's more flexible.
Ancestry - don't think you can view original images or certs. But if you have research other than in Scotland, this might be more worthwhile taking into consideration.
I'm sure there'll be others willing to give more opinions and advice. Good luck.

PS. Have you had free search for your people on Scotland's People? I've got to go out 3 minutes ago so afraid I can't have a look at the moment....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:47 GMT (UK) »
For Dumfriesshire, it is also worth considering membership of Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/ They have lots of resources and are very helpful to members. Also this site is worth investigating http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/HistoricalIndexes/default.aspx

Ruskie is correct that Scotlands People is probably the best site but investigate all the free online resources as well. For pre-1855 births and marriages, the LDS is your best first port of call as they have transcribed all the Old Parish Records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I think this is them in 1861:

Vol 823 ED 3 Page 3

Cairn Park, Durisdeer, Dumfriesshire

William Bryden, 33, forester, b. Keir
Elizabeth, 30, forester's wife, b. Keir
Mary, 4
William Barnes Bryden, 3
Robert, 1

Children all born Durisdeer

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline patty

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for info and advice.  Starting out in genealogy is sometimes confusing and frustrating, so all of your helpful hints will be used and are greatly appreciated.