Author Topic: Sentance/Sentence family and related  (Read 8741 times)

Offline sentance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sentance/Sentence family and related
« on: Friday 26 November 04 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in hearing from anyone even remotely related to the Sentance family, mainly from south-west Lincolnshire near Grantham.  I have extensive information on the Sentances, as well as a few related families - Rawden, Goodband, Jenkinson, Essington would be a few more significant ones. 

Barrowby in the 1800's and Great Ponton in the 1700's were particularly full of Sentances.

Willing to share!

Offline Trisha

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sentance/Sentence family and related
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 05 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sentance,
I hope you can help me on this.
In your information on the Rawden's have you ever come across an Elizabeth RAWDEN/RAWDING, born in Barkston or Hough on the Hill,Lincs in about 1803.I think(though I'm not at all sure)that her parents may have been called George and Ann.I also think she married a Richard PACY/PACEY of Elston,Notts in about 1830 in Farndon,Notts.If this is the Elizabeth I'm looking for then she went on to settle in East Stoke and Elston,Notts.
Does this ring any bells?
I look forward to hearing back from you,
Trisha.
Nottinghamshire: Pacey Hoe Hubbard Taylor,Plumber,Ownsworth,Harvey
Lincolnshire: Pacey Ragsdell Trafford Skelton Norton Lincoln Chester Smith Gilbert Palmer Rawding Baggerley Pask Welch Wright Green Clarke Dawson Grey Johnson Burton Wright Scargall Day.
Bedfordshire: Timms Virgin Hallsworth Kirby Osborn Basset Nixson Harding Odell Clark Thompson.
Northamptonshire: Ragsdell Waller Coales Breem Peak Wallet. Drake.
Norfolk: Palmer Howard Harpely Codling Mark

Offline sentance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 05 02:18 GMT (UK) »
My Rawdens start with a William who marries Sarah Sentance in 1834.  My records (based on transcription of the 1881 census) have him born in 1812 or so in Leadenham, just north of Hough on the Hill (about as far again as Hough is north of Barkston.  Though I've just checked the 1871 census (the image is a good bit clearer by the way) and that seems to indicate he was born about 1799.

In the IGI the closest there is to the first date is a William Rawdin born 1810 as in your case to a George and Ann, this time in Brant Broughton, just west and a bit north of Leadenham. This seems to be part of a family, mostly listed as Rawdings though some Rawdens early on,  could be Elizabeth's, but moving a bit?
There is also, however, a William Rawding born in 1799 in Leadenham, so thats more likely mine.  His parents are Richard and Frances.

I did by the way also find a marriage of a George to an Ann Pask in 1792 in Brant Broughton

A look at actual parish registers might help - it looks like either the name was in flux or the transcription varies, or both (or the person writing things down varied the spelling)

Offline Trisha

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 05 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sentance,
Many thanks for your help.I bet there is some relationship ,like you say to the Rawdings you found on the IGI .I've been wondering myself if the family moved about .The same Elizabeth also ,in 1 census,gave her birthplace as Hough.She also married in Farndon which is just south of Newark upon Trent which is a couple of villages up from where her husband was born.Perhaps her father was a labourer.Like you said this needs a look at parish records I think.Something for the future though as at the moment I can't go out to :) the record offices due to illness.
So as I said at the top of my reply,many thanks for your help.
Trisha. :)
Nottinghamshire: Pacey Hoe Hubbard Taylor,Plumber,Ownsworth,Harvey
Lincolnshire: Pacey Ragsdell Trafford Skelton Norton Lincoln Chester Smith Gilbert Palmer Rawding Baggerley Pask Welch Wright Green Clarke Dawson Grey Johnson Burton Wright Scargall Day.
Bedfordshire: Timms Virgin Hallsworth Kirby Osborn Basset Nixson Harding Odell Clark Thompson.
Northamptonshire: Ragsdell Waller Coales Breem Peak Wallet. Drake.
Norfolk: Palmer Howard Harpely Codling Mark

Offline Lynda551

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 16:55 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth SENTANCE very loosely connected to my tree. She married William PALMER (my 3xgt. uncle) at Edenham on 26 Aug 1826. I have nothing more on this family. Maybe you can fill in some gaps.  :)
Lynda
Leicestershire: Gurr, Freeman, Neal, Moore, Butler
Lincolnshire: Pachett, Sanderson, Kettlewell, Blackburn, Lowman, Horner, Naylor
Rutlandshire: Sheffield, Dunmore, Couzens
Northamptonshire: Mee

Offline sentance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 05 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I replied to this - I've been ignoring the board for a bit.  I haven't anything on their descendants, but Elizabeth is the daughter of Joseph Sentance (b 1774, Boothby Pagnell) and Sarah Porter (b circa 1776, Edenham). 

Let me know if you want more.

Offline lauraproud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have a Valentine sentance born abt 1741 married Mary Essington they are my 6x great grand parents any info would be a great help.

Regards Laura
PROUD,WATSON,MASON,MILBURN,ARMSTRONG,DAVISON,STOREY,CAWTHORN,MILLEN all from Durham/Northumberland/Newcastle/Gateshead area

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Laura,

There are lots of trees on Ancestry with Valentine married to Mary Essington.

His Father could be Broughton Sentance(1708), and his grandfather Valentine Sentance(1657) and his greatgrandfather Thomas Sentance (1616).

But there are lots of Sentances around. 

The trees might be all copying each other, but they could also all be correct.

Added:
Then further backwards Richard, 1588 and Christopher, 1559.

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Sentance-33

http://www.myheritage.com/names/christopher_sentance

http://www.sentance.com/sentance_family.htm

and lots more, so just google search.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
It is  not my family but my grandparents were from Grantham and on visits to my Great-Aunts there in the 1950's on Wharf Road, not far from the junction with St Peter's Hill, on LH side was White & Sentence a shop that sold pianos.   I thought this could be of interest to you.  Every best wish with your FH hunting.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.