Author Topic: Whaplode Drove  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Whaplode Drove
« on: Wednesday 03 March 04 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I am reasearching Thomas and Mary Ann Pitts of Whaplode Drove.Lincoln.
I have them on the 1861 census living at 15 Crowland Road. If anyone has access to the 1851 census I would be much obliged for information on any Pitts who are residents of Whaplode Drove.

:-*Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snoosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Greetings from Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re:Whaplode Drove
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 00:46 BST (UK) »
Aaron,  ;D Greetings from Canberra, Australia. I searched RootsChat for the word Crowland and it returned just one result, your posting of 04 March 2004. The family name I am researching is Snusher, which was first recorded in Crowland, LIN (IGI 1696) then later in Wisbeach [Wisbech], CAM, so we are looking for ancestors in the same area! Have you seen the Reprint of the first edition of the Ordanance Survey one inch map Sheet 45 [Downham] ISBN 0715348426? This is a magnificent map published in modern facsimile by David & Charles. The original dates from the mid 19th century. Whaplode Drove is clearly shown as just a handful of houses and I think I can identify the road to Crowland (which I presume was called Crowland Road!!!).
Regards
Snuffer
SNUSHER worldwide.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 02:50 BST (UK) »
 Hi there Snuffer  ;D,

we are practically neighbours - greetings from Sydney!

I didn't know about the ordinance map it sounds great - how do I go about seeing / purchasing one?

I have spent a lot of time looking for old maps on the web but I have only ever found a dot to represent Whaplode Drove.

It's good to know that someone else is looking at the same area.

Some of my rellies are in Crowland on the 1881 census.
Maybe our ancestors were acquainted! ;D

Good to hear from you.
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snoosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Greetings from Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 04 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron
I bought my OS map at the Canberra Genealogy Roadshow April 2003. ($A18). I imagine that you will be able to buy the same maps at the Sydney Genealogy Showcase coming up at the end of the month put on by the Society of Australian Genealogists. (www.sag.org.au)
I plan to be in Sydney for both days of the Showcase (Friday 28 & Saturday 29 May) and will bring my Downham map with me. Perhaps we can meet up?

Regards
Snuffer
SNUSHER worldwide.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 04 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Snuffer,
I will email you privately regarding Showcase in Sydney.
Aaron :)
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland