Author Topic: MAHOOD and HUGHES  (Read 8614 times)

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
MAHOOD and HUGHES
« on: Sunday 11 March 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Mahood married Sarah Hughes in 1882.  They had a daughter Ann in March 1884, and between then and 1887, Sarah died, and Samuel got married again in 1887 to Sarah's sister Alicia Hughes.  (Alicia was a witness to Sarah and Samuel's marriage in 1882.)  Sarah and Alicia's father was Edward Hughes, a butcher from Markethill in Armagh I think. Edward had a brother John, and possibly Charles.

Samuel and Alicia emigrated to the US in 1887 and I have loads of info on them from then on.    I would love more info on the Hughes if anybody can help - it's such a common name I'm trying to approach it from a different angle - via the Mahoods.

Regards
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MAHOOD and HUGHES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaylay,

I found 4 possible Sarah Hughes births with the father as an Edward. No Alicia/Alice Hughes births with the father as an Edward.

Since you have the marriage information, could you kindly tell me what was her age on the entry? So I can pinpoint which birth is hers so I can find her parents' marriage correctly?

Thanks!

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Good news!! I found this marriage registration in a RIGHT location you guessed.

Here is: On 26 Dec 1867, Edward Hughes married Catherine Nuget in the Markethill Roman Catholic Church in the parish of Mullaghbrack, Armagh, Co Armagh.

Off to find Sarah's birth now.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry to inform you that I could not find her birth entry as it seems she may have not registered or have a different mother we were not aware of.

Your best bet would be to contact the same church her father married in to see if they have her baptism record or not.

Unless she and her family moved to Co Antrim at later point that you do not know about which is very unlikely because a butcher was a sort of a good job to have back then.

Kind regards,

Tees

Note: The database on birth registrations only stop at 1875. But your Sarah may have born after 1875 unless the age you have on her stated otherwise.

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees
Thanks for all your help - really appreciate it!  Sarah's age at the time of her marriage to Samuel in 1882 is just listed as Full age.  They were married in St Matthews Roman Catholic Church Belfast.  Her townland and street is given as Ballymacarrett, but on another document I have Edward Hughes as a butcher in Markethill, and his brother John (who also had a daughter called Sarah) was also a butcher.  Maybe they were in business together?  Am I making sense?  I am very confused - When Samuel Mahood married Alicia Hughes they were married in St Annes Church of Ireland church.   Also I have not been able to find a record of Sarah's death.  Alicia's birth is I think November 1864 - according to US census records.

Kind regards
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaylay!

Yes, I just saw two Mahood marriages being in two different churches which lead me to conclude that Alicia may not be her sister? possibly cousin?

I think it is a bit odd to have two siblings to have two different faiths from the same family. Anything is possible in the North of Ireland, I guess.

This raises a question--"whose" religion it was-Samuel Mahood's or Hughes's?

Now we have a "problem"--it seems that Edward Hughes marriage I found for you may be not him unless his occupation on it says otherwise. Are you sure that Sarah's marriage showed that her father as a butcher, same with Alicia's?

OK-have you contacted the churches in Markethill area? I am sure they will be delighted to confirm any information you are seeking.

Alicia's birth date is a bit too early for the Civil Registration as this is the FIRST year it was set up in Ireland. She probably was not registered but was baptised in the church.

That may means Sarah was born before her?

But I am curious as to those marriages (Sarah's and Alicia's). FA means she is over 21 or she did not know her actual age.

IF only they add the column to the marriage entry for a mother, it will make our lives a bit easier!! :)

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 07 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Interestingly, a female Hughes named Catherine was born on 10 Nov 1864 to the parents of John Hughes & Bridget Short in Armagh, in the subdistrict of Keady, Co Armagh.

No sign of Alicia/Alice's birth here.

Her parents probably did not registered but baptised her in one of the churches in Markethill.

Have you put a request in for someone to look up in Trade or Markethill directories? To see if your Edward was mentioned in there and see what address the shop was at? Then contact a heritage centre or council even library there to see if they have any information on the shop for you?

Never know what you find out...BUT I am puzzled by the fact that both girl Hughes were in Belfast--wondering if their father moved with them to there or remained behind in Markethill?

Many questions here! Terribly sorry about giving you too much to ponder on!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 07 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees

I'm pretty sure they're sisters.  Sarah's marriage cert lists Samuel Mahood's occupation as compositor, which he was also in the US (with the New York Times).  He was a Knight of Columbanus, which means he was definitely Catholic through and through.  His first wife Sarah's father is listed as Edward Hughes - butcher.  Her denomination is Roman Catholic.

In the second marriage cert - Both Samuel and Alicia are listed as Church of Ireland.  I am wondering if this was a mistake, or if they couldn't get married in the Catholic church because he had been married before (and don't forget I can't find any record of Sarah's death - possibly a scandal there!!).  Alicia's father is listed as Edward Hughes cattle dealer (kind of the same thing as butcher do you think?)

Alicia's address at the time of her marriage is 101 Dover Street Belfast. 

I think it is unlikely that the Hughes family were Church of Ireland but you never know for sure.

Kind regards

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 March 07 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaylay,

You may have a valid point about the reason for marrying in CoI.

If I recall correctly, it was not allowed to marry anyone's siblings because it was against the law. Possibly Samuel Mahood and Alicia decided to marry in CoI because they do not know who they are so they can marry there. You can "lie" to the priest there that you are of CoI (CoI is much like RC in many ways so it should not be a problem for them to marry there).

Or Samuel's marriage to Sarah had not dissolved and could not get a priest's blessing or church authority's permission to annul it. He felt that he had no choice but went ahead and married in CoI to Alicia.

I will go back to see if Sarah Hughes married someone else between years since you said you could not find her death entry.

I have a relative who had to get a special permission from the church authorities in order to marry his second wife. It was noted on his church marriage record. (It made me wonder what happened to his first wife and what was the reason for the dissolution of their marriage.)

Butcher and Cattle dealer is a bit different BUT you may never know a true description of their father's occupation because one of them may have embellished on his occupation.

Butcher is a person who cut up the meat/dead cows/pigs/chickens and others into portions to sell. Cattle dealer is a person who dealt with cows-buying and selling to the farmers.

Markethill is a good place to do business. You need to put a look up request for the Trade directories or directories to see if your Edward was there or not.

Regards,

Tees