Author Topic: Kandich / Kynoch family  (Read 9951 times)

Offline greenclip

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kandich / Kynoch family
« on: Sunday 11 March 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Kandich / Kynoch families from Moray and to find out why the name changed.

James Kynoch born c1764 married Margaret Sim in 1787 in Drainie, but  the surname had changed to Kandich when their first son John was bapt in 1790 in Elgin. They had a second son - William bapt 1792 in Elgin.
His second wife was Margaret Thompson, they married  in 1803 in New Spynie and had 2 daughters - Jannett b. 1804 and Margaret b. 1806.

James Kynoch / Kandich was a mason working in Elgin, he died in 1836 in Bishopsmill and is buried in the grounds of Elgin Cathedral.
His son, John Kandich, enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1807 and served in Mauritius and Jersey before returning to Elgin in 1859.

Can anyone give me any more information on James Kynoch / Kandich or the Kynoch / Kandich families from this area?

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kandich / Kynoch family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 16:20 BST (UK) »
let me first welcome you to rootschat my friend.

i have no answers for you but i do have an interesting website for you to visit regarding the names kandich.

visit www.familysearch.org, there is about 27 entries for kandich

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi green

Welcome to Rootschat

You may find this link useful.

http://www.moray.gov.uk/LocalHeritage/Assets/html_pages/tracing_roots.html

I don;t have any connection with the area but a fellow rootschatter does and you may want to pm her (prophetess is her rootschat name)

Cheers

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Sandy_Jack

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching the Kandich/Kynoch family name also.  I have a John Simpson marrying a Sophia Kandich 1831, New Deer, ABD.  Her father was John Kynoch.

On Sophia's marriage registry the name Kandich appears.  Also on the birth cert of at least one of her children.  The name Kynoch appears on her death cert. 

I believe the family was associated with tayloring or weaving.

If this sounds familiar to you, please contact me.

Thanks
Sandy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't get hung up on the idea that Kynoch/Kandich represents a change of surname. They are both just variants of Kinnoch, which is derived from the Gaelic given name Coinneach, anglicised as Kenneth. Unfortunately you just need to remember to search both variants to be sure you've got all the possible information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline charliec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Kandich/Candich/Candlish, I have been tracing the Candlish (Dunfermline Area) family tree. From Fife, mainly Dunfermline through the 1900's back to Aberdour through 1800's. Before that it appears that there is a strong link back to Knockando where James Kandich and Isabel Moir (married Knockando 1778) and their sons Alexander and William (1780)were born. William married Janet Galloway in Aberdour in 1799. From there im ok it's the earlier Knockando link that is the puzzle with Kandich/Kynoch. I have had no success either trying to find a link between Kandich/Kynoch and am looking for inspiration from any other Kandich/Kynoch ancestors. Is there anybody out there????

Offline vvesper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Kandich / Kynoch / Candich family
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Charliec, it looks like we are researching the same line. While I don't really have any information farther back, I am also working on the George Candich/Janet Galloway line, through their son George Candich, born in Aberdour and who emigrated to America around 1840.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
Bruce Bishops "The Lands and People of Moray" Part 35 The Parish of Knockando, has the following references for Kandich:

1783 Christian K - a young woman given a testimonial
1783 Girsel K - in uncleaness with Peter Hill
1783 William K - repaid his debts to the Kirk Session
1787 William K - In Strondow, ill, his wife Margaret Morison given aid by Kirk Session, he was granted a testimonial
1791 Alexander K - son to John Kandich the Church Officer, father of a child by Janet McAlaster alias McDonald.  Witness to Poor List Admissions

And the following Mortcloth (burial) records:

1784 Christian K - removed from Poor List "dead"
1819 16th May - Donald K Mortcloth 1/6d
1823 26th Jan - William K Mortcloth 1/6d

Offline mtnmarine411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 05:11 BST (UK) »
Just discovered this post. I have a silver snuff box which has engraved on the lid "John Kandich from Major Sinclair R.A. 1840". More interesting is that my father was born in Bishopsmill, Eglin, Scotland. His mother's maiden name was Jessie Morrison Cockburn and her father a gardner in Bishopsmill. 

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kandich / Kynoch family
« on: Sunday 11 March 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »

I am interested in the Kandich / Kynoch families from Moray and to find out why the name changed.

James Kynoch born c1764 married Margaret Sim in 1787 in Drainie, but  the surname had changed to Kandich when their first son John was bapt in 1790 in Elgin. They had a second son - William bapt 1792 in Elgin.
His second wife was Margaret Thompson, they married  in 1803 in New Spynie and had 2 daughters - Jannett b. 1804 and Margaret b. 1806.

James Kynoch / Kandich was a mason working in Elgin, he died in 1836 in Bishopsmill and is buried in the grounds of Elgin Cathedral.
His son, John Kandich, enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1807 and served in Mauritius and Jersey before returning to Elgin in 1859.

Can anyone give me any more information on James Kynoch / Kandich or the Kynoch / Kandich families from this area? "John Kandich from Major Sinclair R.A. 1840"