Author Topic: Help!  (Read 5730 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: Wednesday 03 March 04 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please help me find the marriage of Mabel Renwick to Henry Schofield.I think Mabel came from Alnwick as she is down in a census record for Berwick as being born in Alnwick.Henry was her 1st marriage she remarried after Henrys death to Thomas Crumlish who was Irish.Mabel would have been born around 1840.Another confusing thing is in one census she is down as living with Thomas Crumlish in Chapel st Berwick with 2 stepsons named Schofield and 4 daughters named Crumlish,in another census she is down as head of family no husband and all the family are down as Schofield.I am so confused with this family i am nearly tearing my hair out.Please can someone help.When i bought my Grt Grandmothers birth record she was Mary Crumlish her mother Mabel Renwick.Can anyone work this puzzle out.Anne. :'(
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 02:41 BST (UK) »
Anne,

To cut a long story short ( as they say ! ), it is possible that Mabel Renwick ( there is a registration of birth of Mabel Renwick @ Alnwick R.O. in June Quarter of 1842, making her born in Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun period)... never married either Henry Schofield or Thomas Crumlish.

I see Mabel, as a Schofield, a 61 yr old charwoman in Berwick on Census 1901... with no other Schofields around her.

Did you notice the mispelt Renwick (REMORCK) on C1881 in Cannongate, Alnwick... Richard, 10, grandson to Jane Schofield.

Obviously census-takers not good at reading people's writing or whatever... Mabel and Thomas are down as Ommlish on C1881 in Black Bull Yard in Berwick.

Your Mary was registered as Crumlish in Dec qtr of 1871 @ Berwick ( I also notice that the death of a William Crumlish, at 62 yrs was registered @ BW in Dec Qtr of 1872... Thomas's father ?? )

Also , at BW, birth of 'William Crumlish Schofield' registered in Dec Qtr of 1874 ( followed, unfortunately, by the registration of his death, aged 0, in June Qtr of 1875.)

Are you familiar with the 'Irish Naming Pattern', which lays down 'rules' for naming the children ?.

Do you have the death of a Henry Schofield... on C1881, there is a single 44 yr old born in and living in Alnwick... there is also a 38 yr old, u/m, born Alnwick, living in Sunderland...

And the marraige in Berwick, Sep Qtr of 1887, of Annie Crumlish... to John Patterson ? and marraige of Mary Crumlish , BW, Sep Qtr 1991.. to a Price or a Morrison ??

Born BW Dec Qtr 1993 'Mary Renwick Schofield', but died aged 0, the same Qtr.

Born Bw June Qtr 1897, Thomas Renwick Schofield.

I had better, as promised cut this long story short...

Come back to me if you wish...

Did you notice on C1881 in Alnwick, Mabel, 6 yrs dtr of James and Mary Renwick.... Mabel obviously a 'family' name... and another Mabel, on C1881, aged 9, dtr of Robert and Helen Renwick in BW.

As early as Sept Qtr 1841 a Mabel Renwick died in Alnwick.. your Mabel's grannie ???
and another dying in Dec Qtr of 1852.. your Mabel's mother ??

I think you asked an earlier question about our folks telling fibs about their ages... well there are a few examples of them doing it when marrying under lawful age, but other than that the age incompatibilities were due to the simple fact that ,unlike us who cannot get away from our age, they simply did not know their's, in most cases, unless the parents had studiously kept their own records.

I hope at least some of this is helpful to you.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 19:20 BST (UK) »
Michael,thankyou so much for this info,you have sent me so many details i have had to print it all off so i can study it later.I am so confused with Mabel Renwick.The 1881 census i have of her is Chapel Street Berwick,living with Thomas Crumlish,4, daughters, Nellie,Annie,Mary{my Grt Grandmother} and Suzannah,also 2 stepsons with the name Schofield.I have a death for Henry Schofield for 1865 wife Mabel Renwick but i dont know if this is my Mabel,i presumed it was as she has 2 sons with her on the census.Do you think she maybe never married Thomas Crumlish even though she had 3 daughters by him.I think Mabel died before 1891 and thats why Thomas is living on his own,but what happend to Suzannah,she was born in 1879.Anyway let me know your thoughts and thankyou so much again.Anne.:-*

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 04 09:01 BST (UK) »
Anne,

More info for cosideration....

C1851 Alnwick  ref 2419-452

All Renwicks...
Thomas 62, weaver. born Carlisle, St Mary's.
Wife Mable, 55, b.Holystone.
son Robert 15, labourer, b.Alnwick.
dtr Mabel, 8, scholar, b.Alnwick.
son George, 5, sch, b.Alnwick.

2419-358

Head, Jane Renwick, wid 76. pauper washerwoman, b.Morpeth

2419-305
Elizabeth Renwick, unmarried, 17, house servant, b.Revely Ingram.
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 04 21:19 BST (UK) »
Michael,this family could be mine.The daughter aged 8 in 1851 census is the right age so its possible.Where is Holystone?.Thankyou again Michael.Anne. :)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 April 04 01:31 BST (UK) »
Anne,

On the subject of Crumlish, Renwick and Schofield, I posted a secound long-winded reply to you, but cannot see a copy of it.. did you receive it ?

Michael Dixon ..
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 04 20:49 BST (UK) »
Michael,thankyou for your message.I have e mailed you but just incase you never got my e mail i didnt get the message you sent regarding above families.Thankyou again Michael for your help.Anne. :)