Author Topic: 1841 - Elizabeth Baldwin Brett b Norwich  (Read 1187 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
1841 - Elizabeth Baldwin Brett b Norwich
« on: Monday 12 March 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find Elizabeth born c 1828 on the 1841 census but have done all my usual searches and come up with nothing.  Could somebody else have a look in case I missed something.  I think I may have her in 1851 - aged 21 and a lodger in Norwich St Swithin

She married John Wood Rider in 1852 in London and I have all census info etc from 1861 onwards.

Their marriage cert shows her name as Elizabeth Baldwin Brett and her father as Robert Baldwin Brett - horsedealer.  However - Brett has been crossed out and initialled and her father shown as Robert Baldwin.

In 1861 the Riders were in Northumberland and shown on that census as Redic.  Elizabeth is 33 b Norwich Norfolk

Her death entry in 1867 confirms that her christian names were Elizabeth Baldwin 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Elizabeth Baldwin Brett b Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

I do not know if this is of any use to you, or maybe you have already discounted it?

HO107/762/1
Erpingham Norfolk

Robert Brett 40 Ag Lab Y
Mary Brett 35
William 12
Elizabeth 10
James 7
Robert 5
John 2

Is the marriage  between William Baldwin and Hannah Brett in 1804 St Edmunds Norwich the start of these two names being linked?

Frances :)

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Elizabeth Baldwin Brett b Norwich
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances

Thank you for your reply.  I had seen that 1841 entry but I'm not convinced it's the right one. 

The bit that really puzzles me is the marriage cert.  The registrar obviously assumed that Robert's surname was Brett but has crossed it through and initialled it and replaced it with Baldwin.  Elizabeth was a spinster so no previous marriage to complicate things

The 1804 marriage however is one to bear in mind - thank you. 

I had been looking for a Robert Brett marriage to somebody surname Baldwin without any success
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)