Author Topic: Burns,Hawick.  (Read 31130 times)

Offline ddjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burns,Hawick.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this! Here's what I hope may be a useful contribution. Isabella Hendry Drummond Burns was my great aunt. Her brother, George Ovens Drummond of Hawick, was my grandfather. I've been exploring the Drummond sides of my family, looking for longlost cousins, since I think there was some kind of major rift in the Drummonds of Hawick around 1908. George died in a mental institution, and his widow Alexandra took her three boys (including my father James) to London. In my childhood we were never in touch with the Hawick family, so it's good to see that Isabella had children who - if I understand this right - moved to Canada. More information please!!

Offline bingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi ddjohn
I haven't been on this site for a while as I have had other commitments but have found it very useful.  There's a smashing girl who knows a lot.

My grandmother was Isabella and was married to Walter Burns.  My father, Alexander was their second last child and son.  my father died in Sierra Leone in 1949 when I was a baby.
Walter was in the First World War and after moved to Guelph where he married Sadie and they had a son who died in May of last year.  He then had a son also named Walter but as far as I know there are no other Burns from this family over there.

If my working outs are right, we should be second cousins??

I will get back to this site as I have so much I want to find out.

Offline ddjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 August 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Bingy,

Yes, second cousins we are: you in Canada and I in New Zealand! My researches have got me this far about our common generational siblings:
There were eleven children in our grandparents’ generation, the children of George Drummond (1832-1884) and Annie nee Hamilton (died 1919). George and Annie lived at 3 Sandbed, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland. George was a corn merchant. Two of the children died in early childhood. Of the remaining nine, three were girls: Isabella Hendry (1860-1945), Jessie Hamilton (1866-1916), Annie Hamilton (1874-?), and six  were boys: Archibald Hamilton (1868-1915), George Ovens (1870-1908), John William (1872-1899, who died of pneumonia), Robert Thomas (1876-1951), David Ovens (1878-1945), James Scott (1880-1899).
  Of these, four produced offspring:
-   Isabella Hendry who married Walter Burns and had 11 children
-   Archibald Hamilton who married Elizabeth Ekron and had 4 children
-   George Ovens who married Alexandra Dodds and had 3 children
-   David Ovens who married Marion May Oliver Boyd and had at least 1 child

I think it highly likely that we have more cousins from the Archibald Hamilton Drummond and David Ovens Drummond marriages, and I'm trying to track these. I have more information about the previous Drummond generations, and about the offspring generations, which I am happy to share with you if you are interested.
Anything you can share with me about those cousins back in the UK would interest me very much.

Offline alexandagnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:53 GMT (UK) »
sorry haven't been on this for a while and can never remember how it works!
Alex and lizzie were in Galashiels in 1911 - that is where willaim bruce was born

Offline bingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
Yes please, I would like census entries.  I have at last managed to get time to do research into the Burns and Drummond families again and have been drawing the family tree which takes up so much space as there are so many children at a time and so many with long names!
I find it fascinating how unoriginal they were with names considering that they had so many children and what horrifies me is when a subsequent child is born after the death of a sibling it is given the same name

Many thanks.

Offline bingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

I would love a copy of the marriage certificate for my grandparents

I don't know where they moved to from Denholm, possibly Edinburgh as my father went to George Heriot's school there and he must have been there in the 19teens.

I lived in Cumbria in the north of England after moving from Edinburgh but am now in France.

I see that there are relatives in New Zealand and in Utah.

Bingy

Offline bingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ddjohn

I was wondering how you are getting on with the research.

I have been drawing the family tree from all the info given in these pages so it is beginning to make sense.

I have in the past just looked at my paternal grandfather's side and am now looking at the paternal grandmother's. 

we could do with the new generations now.  it seems to stop fairly early on in the 1900s.  That will be a massive job to try and find our cousins etc.

Good luck.

Bingy.

Offline ddjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 June 17 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bingy,

I came across the following , which suggests that Walter and Isabella Hendry Burns may have had their challenges! The Edinburgh Gazette of 31 January 1911 includes the following:
“A petition having been presented to the Sheriff of Roxburgh, Berwick and Selkirk at Selkirk, at the instance of the South of Scotland Investment Company Limited. . . for Sequestration of the Estates of Mrs Isabella Hendry Drummond or Burns, wife of and residing with Walter Burns, Farmer, Shawmount, Selkirk, the Sheriff-Substitute of this date granted Warrant for citing the said Mrs Isabella Hendry Drummond or Burns and the said Walter Burns for any interest he may have, to appear in Court on the tenth day next after citation, to show cause why Sequestration of the said Mrs Isabella Hendry Drummond or Burns’ Estates should not be awarded; of which Intimation is hereby given.”
Sequestration means that the Burns farm went bankrupt. How and why, we do not know.

Offline bingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this notification.  I had no idea.  That might explain why the family then lived in Edinburgh and why my father went to school there.