Author Topic: Johnston Grocers  (Read 41500 times)

Offline BeeJayNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (Rae) Johnston Grocers
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for all that information. We have some of that - a few things we have not been able to find..
I am descended from William Cook born 1835  died New Zealand 1919. Three of my cousins and I have been
searching for information for some time now.

Alexander Cook possibly drowned Kilbrannan Sound on way home to Campbeltown from Isle of Arran,
along with his brother. Cannot find any information on this any where.. Did find a William Cook and one other
man drowning found in the Edinburgh Evening News 19 January 1877, but this seems too late, as we think Alexander
died about 1845.

William Cook's sisters Mary and Matilda appear not to have married - that we can find, and we cannot find any
 further information on his brother Donald.  And we have no record of the two unknown Cook that you have at the
bottom of that family. Do you have any information on them?

We am trying to find any details on William Cook,  (b 19 Feb 1866, Sadell and Skipness, Argyll)
son of Mary Cook d/o Alexander and Mary. (b 1838).   Mary supposedly married a Mr Couper - can not find any record of the marriage, and he is not named
as father to William.

Similarly, Margaret Rae, (b 20 Oct 1871 Kirkintilloch)  daughter of Margaret Cook and James Rae
 supposedly married a Mr McBeth (possibly John McBeth) and had a daughter (Peggy) Margaret Cook Rae
 McBeth who was born about 1902 and died 1970s. Again we cannot find any records..

The sibling Jean (b 1836) is that a sibling to James Rae  (b 1832). And is that James Rae the son of a Minister?

We also have information that James Rae (b 1860) had a son (no name, but his son is David) and two daughters
Jean (married a Mr Stewart)  and Marj.

Are you related to the Rae family?

Thanks again, Brenda

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston Grocers
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Brenda, your Rea family and mine don't seem to be connected, though as we know, somewhere in the past they could be.

I will see what further information I can find re your Cook family, etc. 
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 01:30 BST (UK) »
William Cook
Birth 14 Feb 1836 • Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Place of birth inscribed on his headstone at the church in Waimate North.
4 Sources
Death 2 Jun 1919 • Waimate North, New Zealand
Burial Waimate North, New Zealand St John the Baptist Church grounds
Occupation bef 1860
Ship's carpenter. Sailor. Later a builder.
Emigration early 1860's Emigrated from England to New Zealand
Marriage
21 Mar 1865 • St Matthew's Church, Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland District, 20th March 1865. William COOK, Bachelor, Carpenter, aged 24, usually living in Kennedy's Bay, Auckland, Resided in Auckland 3 days Rose Ann KENYON, Spinster, aged 22, usually living in Kennedy's Bay, Auckland, Resided in Auckland 3 days.

Rose Ann Kenyon
Birth 13 SEP 1841 • Skircoat, Halifax, Yorkshire, England, daughter of John Kenyon 1814-1885 and Sarah Harvey 1812-1848 
Death 11 SEP 1891 • Waimate North, New Zealand
                                        ----------------------
Children
John Alexander Cook(1866–1930) 11 Jan 1866 • Kennedys Bay, New Zealand,  Death 1 Jun 1930 • Rawene, Hokianga, New Zealand Rawene Hospital
Daniel Hoyes Cook(1868–1868) 28 Jan 1868 • New Caledonia, Death 1868 • New Caledonia
Sarah EMILY (Emmy) Cook(1869–1924) 4 Apr 1869 • Coromandel, New Zealand, Death  22 OCT 1924 • Okaihau, New Zealand
Mary Anne JULIA Cook(1871–1943) 11 Aug 1871 • Waimate North, New Zealand, Death 2 JUN 1943 • Papatoetoe, Auckland, New Zealand
Matilda Cook(1874–1941) 9 Jul 1874 • Waimate North, New Zealand, Death 14 AUG 1941 • Auckland, New Zealand
Rose Edith Cook(1876–1947) 26 Jul 1876 • Waimate North, New Zealand, Death 31 AUG 1947
Margaret (Maggie) Steel Cook(1879–1972) 17 Dec 1879 • Waimate North, New Zealand, Death 2 FEB 1972 • Northland, New Zealand
William (Kenny) Kenyon Cook(1885–1975) 12 May 1885 • Waimate North, New Zealand, Death 31 MAR 1975 • Auckland New Zealand
                                                -------------------------
Mary Cook -Birth ABT 1838 • Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland,  Age 33 — Residence 1871 • Springburn, Glasgow, Scotland, Servant in the Lamberton household
Marriage Aft. 1881 a man named Cooper (no further details)
           Son William Cook(1866–) 19 Feb 1866 • Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
                                               ----------------------------
Matilda Cook (1840–) Abt 1840 • Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Donald Cook Birth abt 1844 • Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland, Residence1851 • Saddell and Skipness, Argyll, Scotland
Mattia Cook Birth abt 1849 • Kintyre, Argyleshire, Scotland, Residence 1871 • Govan, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

At this time I have no further information on the unknown people listed as children of Alexander Cook, but will check further when time permits.

Margaret (Maggie) Rae
Birth 20 OCT 1871 • Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland, Death AFT 1935
Marriage Aft. 1891
John McBeth Birth ABT 1870 • Glasgow, Scotland Death BEF. 1911

Their daughter Margaret (Peggy) Cook Rae Macbeth
Birth ABT. 1902 • Glasgow, Scotland, Death C 1970 • Glasgow, Scotland
She was a schoolteacher

Offline BeeJayNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hey there,

Thanks for all of your replies. I do not belong to Ancestry, so cannot access that page.
 I can (and will)  access it next time I am the Library in Whangarei. (and there is a computer free!).
 I am familiar with the Cook Headstones. Most of the Cook family are buried at St Johns Waimate North Churchyard. My Grandparents,
Great Grandparents, and William and Rose Ann Cook my Great Great Grandparents. My Mum and her siblings,
and myself and my siblings were all baptised there.

It is really the early Cook generations we are looking for. We think Alexander must have had a brother, because
we have one of his and Mary's daughters, Matilda in the 1851 census, as a niece of Margaret Cook, widow, at
Shore Street, Campbeltown. It would fit in with another family story that we have not proved/or found information
on,  that there were 4 sons and 1 daughter in that generation.

Why was I not interested in genealogy when I was younger, and could have asked more people.

Peggy McBeth/MacBeth was apparently, very interested in genealogy, and had lots of family information.
It would be so nice to know what has happened to her information. I was wondering if it would be worth emailing a
library near where she lived, to see if she had left it with them for safe keeping.

Thanks again for your help.  Where abouts in the world are you?  Can I look for any information for you in New Zealand?
Brenda

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome.  When I can, I'll look for more information on the Cook family.

I am in Ontario, Canada, and so far I haven't discovered any ancestors of mine who went to New Zealand, but thanks for the offer.

Offline BeeJayNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 04 February 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Happy New Year. Just to update you on further information I have found.
I went onto Scotlands People and found a death for Mary Steel
Death Certificate.
Mary Cook, widow of Alexander Cook, fisherman. 1883. June eleventh. 10 hr 1m A.M. Kempock Street, Gourock.
F 75 years. Father -  James Steel, Carpenter,deceased. Mother - Margaret Steel M.S. Munro, deceased.
Apoplexy as certified by A. Leith M.B.C.M. Informant: Mary Cook, daughter. 1883 June 11th at Gourock, John Macmillan, Registrar.

From that I have been able to find information James Steel and Margaret Munro and family.
I also found a death for Alexander Cook died 1 October 1849 buried Kilsyth 4 October 1849, aged 47, of "water on the chest" . This is not the correct man, as I have found other records for this one. Including a headstone with his wife inscribed on it, as Elizabeth Wilson.

One step forward and two backwards.  Regards, Brenda

Offline hagg1sr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 19 February 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Re Dundonald Street shop, I was a message boy in early 60's, perhaps using the message bike shown in earlier post.
One of my worst times there was when the Carnival came to he waste ground at the end of Tannadice Street (now occupied by Dundee United training ground) they ordered numerous bags of sugar for the Candy Floss machine, these came in 1cwt bags - not an easy thing to balance on message bike.