Author Topic: Penrhosllugwy - Rowland WILLIAMS family from 1797  (Read 11776 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Penrhosllugwy - Rowland WILLIAMS family from 1797
« on: Wednesday 14 March 07 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Am trying to find more information about my Williams family from Penrhosllugwy.  This is what I have so far:

from 1841/51/61 censuses BrynyFelin Penrhosllugwy:
Rowland Williams, labourer, born Penrhosllugwy about 1798 - died bet. 1841 & 1851
wife Elizabeth Williams, born Coedana about 1798.  Married secondly ?? EVANS and re-widowed between 1851 & 1861, where she lists occupation as seamstress.
children Jane (born c 1826) , Rowland (c1830), Margaret (c1833), Elizabeth (c1835), Ellin (c1837), Mary (c1841) all born Penrhosllugwy  There could also have been older children who left home by 1841??

from 1861/1871 census Penrhosllugwy:
Son Rowland Williams born 1830, occ. quarryman, married Margaret ?? (born c1828) 
children John (c1850) Rowland (c1852) William (c1855), Owen (c1858) Hugh (c1860) Elizabeth (c1863) Catherine (c1866) Henry (c1869) all born Penrhosllugwy.

from 1881/91/01 census Ty cefn Llanallgo
Grandson Owen Williams born 1858, occ. labourer/quarryman/miner, married to Anne ??(c1859)
son John R. (c1880) Owen (c1882) Edward (c1886) Hugh (c1888) Henry (c1890)  Evan (c1894) William (c1896) Annie (c1898) Thomas (c1901)  all born Llanallgo

Still researching 1881/91/1901 censuses for the rest, other than daughter Margaret, my g/g- grandmother, born 1833, married William OWEN, Bangor 1858.  They lived out their lives in Llanddeiniolen but that is another story for another board! ;D

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhosllugwy - Rowland WILLIAMS family from 1797
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I too am tracing Rowland Williams family of Penrhoslligwy.  I have same census info as you up to 1881 and then I follow Hugh Williams b 1861 son of Rowland and Margaret Williams.  It would appear that Rowland Williams b 1831 (my g.g-grandfather) was a brother to Margaret b 1833 (your g.g-grandmother).  You mention Owen Williams b 1858 - he was a brother to Hugh.  After marriage Hugh and family lived in Llanallgo.  I am having difficulty tracing burials.

Can you enlighten me?

janeanne

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janeanne  :)

Thank you for responding to my post.  It's nice to "meet" you and welcome to rootschat  ;D

It's been a while since I look at this family so I'll look up my information ASAP.  Am pretty sure I don't have much though :(   What I do have somewhere on my computer is the birth registration of Margaret Williams' daughter Ellin in 1858.  Ellin was my great grandmother and her birth was registered by her grandmother Elizabeth Evans and if I remember correctly I think she signed the register :)   According to the 1911 census Ellin had fourteen children.  She died in Tregarth in 1943.  Quite a lady ;D

I'll send you a personal message with my email, but I think you need to make a couple of additional posts before you can respond by PM.   

Heather

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
her birth was registered by her grandmother Elizabeth Evans and if I remember correctly I think she signed the register :)   

Hi Janeanne

Have found the image.  Unfortunately I was wrong - Elizabeth just made her mark as Elizabeth Williams, Occupier, Bryn Felin, Penrhoslligwy.  All a bit of a mystery.  Ellin was born April 12, 1858.  Elizabeth registered her birth on May 19, 1858 and Margaret Williams, spinster, married William Owen (after BANNS) at the Bangor Cathedral Church on May 22, 1858.  William brought up Ellin as his daughter.  If she was his biological daughter there was more than enough time to at least be registered as her father but apparently not - another puzzle to add to the pile LOL!

Heather

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Sorry for delay in replying (internet problems).  This family history is quite a tangled web!!  As mentioned before your g/g/grandmother Margaret b.1833 was a sister to my g/g/grandfather Rowland b. 1831.  Margaret's daughter Ellin (your g/grandmother) was a cousin to Hugh (my g/grandfather).  Hugh married Elizabeth Jones b. Bethesda 1861.  Their children were Hugh b. 1885 Bethesda, Margaret b.1892 Llanallgo, Thomas b.1895 Llanallgo (he died 22.1.1907 aged 11) and Ann or Annie who was my grandmother.  It looks as though she was a cousin to Henry b.1890 son of Owen Williams (brother of Hugh).  Annie had one daughter Margaret Beryl who was my mother.  I do not know who your parents and grandparents were but it looks as though  we are cousins 4 times removed!!

After marriage Hugh and Elizabeth lived at various addresses in Llanallgo - I believe at least until the early 1920's.  I cannot find any trace of either deaths.  I did not know that my grandmother had any brothers or sisters so don't know anything about them.

You mention Owen b.1858 brother of Hugh (my g/grandfather) living at Ty Cefn, Llanallgo.  Do you know whether this still exists or where it would have been?  Do you know anything about Henry b.1890 son of Owen Williams.  I feel there could be a connection with Moelfre.

I have further bits of info but its all a bit confusing as we come down different branches of the tree.  Hope you can make some sense of this. 

Janeanne

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi janeanne

I spent some time yesterday on a reply to your last post then pressed the wrong key and the whole thing disappeared  >:( >:( AAARGH!!    Sorry - will try again in a day or two ;)

Heather

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Look forward to that.

Janeanne

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi janeanne

I've been studying the old maps website, trying to get my bearings and check names on the map with the pages on the 1881 census for Llanallgo which included Moelfre according to the enumerator of District 8.  Llanallgo is 1.4 miles SE of Penrhos and about the same distance SW of Moelfre. 

Ty Cefn appears next to a Brynmor House on the census but cant see it :(.

Sadly I have no Welsh and have never even visited Anglesey so I'm afraid am not much help with geography. 

Your mention of Elizabeth Jones c1861 caught my eye as I thought there might be a connection through Ellin Owen.  She married my great grandfather John David Jones in 1878 but at that time the family were in Rhiwlas Llanddeiniolen and did not move to Tregarth until several decades later so it is doubtful there was a connection there. 

Your Hugh is listed as a stonemason.  Perhaps they met when he visited the Penrhyn Quarry!

Do you have your Rowland (1831) baptism?  Someone checked the Penrhos baptisms for Margaret Williams for me but she wasn't there c1835. 

I would like to learn more about Rowland Williams senior but it was such a common name around that time.  Do you have his marriage to Elizabeth at Coedana from the IGI?

Margaret Williams Owen is buried at Pentir St. Cedol with her husband William Owen and one of their sons - also a William.  Margaret died July 1, 1900. 

all for now
Heather

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Just to let you know I prepared a reply but internet connection lost as I was sending it.  Will try again when signal better.

Janeanne