Author Topic: William Podmore, Broad Lane , Hawarden  (Read 3245 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
William Podmore, Broad Lane , Hawarden
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I wonder if any one can tell me, when the Podmore family settled in Broad Lane ? They were farmers......

My forebear William Podmore , married Mary Lee in 1742. This poor lady died in 1743, in childbirth . William remarried, on Easter Sunday 1744 , Margaret Jones........Their children were.......

Mary born 1746  ( my 5 x great grandmother )
Sarah born 1753
William born 1750
Richard born 1759
John born 1764

I believe the Podmore family, is well known in Hawarden now....
BUT, where did they come from ??

I have Parish registers, and can find no trace of them prior to 1742......Unless of course William was born before 1727....

Any help, or advice on where to go now would be appreciated

Kind Regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Oliver001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Podmore, Broad Lane , Hawarden
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Try looking at the Podmores of Cheshire (Little Hassall).  I have both your ancestors in my tree (William Podmore and Mary Lee of Hawarden). 

But going down your line via William Maylor and Margaret Podmore down to Mary Peers who married Adam Garthside, and up from the Garthsides of Bolton to the Leeches and up to the Potts, Wooltons, we have the Podmores and the Leighs.

I believe these families were interconnected generally and the Podmores of Little Hassall and Sandbach area of Cheshire are the origin.  You would need to look around the Furnivalls, Lingards, Twemlows and Lea/Lee/Leighs - they are all noble families and appear in Burkes Peerage.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Oliver...

My goodness me !
I do not know what to say. Only yesterday, I looked yet again at William Podmore...he is one of my brick walls, but I keep returning to him, as new information keeps coming available....

I have all information about his children, grandchildren etc, but where he came from nothing.

I have his rather wonderful will, dated 1784. A superb document...would you like a copy ?

How are you connected. Do you have a online tree I could take a peak at ? Can I help you ?

I am absolutely thrilled that you have contacted me. I cannot wait to start investigating this information.

Thank you, so much

Jeannie
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Oliver001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
Of course, let me know your details, and I can share my Ancestry tree with you and point you in the direction I'm looking at - it would be easier.  I will also be looking at the Podmores now I've seen you are at a brick wall.  I definitely think they've moved from Cheshire and that my Podmore family are connected to this one in Hawarden.

I knew immediately when I saw I was related to both via Mary Peers and Adam Garthside.

We can look at Mary Lee being descended from the Leigh or de Leigh family.

PM me your details and I'll invite you to my tree.

Oliver...

My goodness me !
I do not know what to say. Only yesterday, I looked yet again at William Podmore...he is one of my brick walls, but I keep returning to him, as new information keeps coming available....

I have all information about his children, grandchildren etc, but where he came from nothing.

I have his rather wonderful will, dated 1784. A superb document...would you like a copy ?

How are you connected. Do you have a online tree I could take a peak at ? Can I help you ?

I am absolutely thrilled that you have contacted me. I cannot wait to start investigating this information.

Thank you, so much

Jeannie