Author Topic: GORE - Stogumber - 1841, poss.1851  (Read 5305 times)

Offline dtgwynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gore - Stogumber - 1841, poss.1851
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Louise

I am new to Rootschat and cannot figure out how to reply to your personal message. The Help page indicates that  after opening your message I should reply by clicking the "new message" icon at the top of the page and that this icon should be alongside "delete" "outbox" and "reload" icons. However, all I see are the "delete" and "reload" icons. No "new message" option!

Cheers

Darryl
Gores of Stogumber and Wembdon Somerset; Hancocks of Cannington, SOM; Glanvilles of Bedminster, SOM; Danns of Bristol; Gwynnes of Monkton, Pembs, Wales

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
Re: GORE - Stogumber - 1841, poss.1851
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Darryl did you figure out how to send a PM?  Send a new message by clicking on the name in top left corner and it opens up details with some options under including sending a PM.    You and Louise may know but St Decumens is in Watchet, just a few miles down the road from Stogumber.   ;)

Offline mnyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 June 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've just come across this post on discovering that my 3rd Gt Grandmother, Elizabeth Gore was from Stogumber. She was born abt 1814. I was wondering if this might be her family - siblings and parents that are being discussed in this thread. She married a John Harman and lived with him in Kent until she died.

Any information you can give me on this family I would be very grateful. I can't imagine there would be so many Gores in those days in such a small village who wouldn't be related.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Marc

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 June 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Stogumber is just down the road and over the hill from me. I am wondering if you'd like me to go and have a look in the grave yard there.  I can't promise to do it in the next few days but it's such a gorgeous village and such a lovely drive over there, it would be a pleasure to. I might find some graves that would be of interest. If not I could go to St Decumens church.

Offline mnyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Kate,

That would be lovely and very helpful. Anything you can do will be much appreciated. If there is anyway of determining if Elizabeth Gore was registered / baptised there - I have a DOB of abt 1814.

Earlier in the thread there is a mention of a James and Mary Gore - Perhaps My Elizabeth is their daughter? or relative?

Any help will be much appreciated. I will have to visit this village when I return to the UK. In Canada now for another 1-2 years.

Many thanks.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 June 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
The Stogumber registers are among the many transcriptions by Martin Southwood which he provides online here:  http://www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html

They are also incorporated into the FreeREG database, available here:
 http://www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html

Elizabeth Gore, daughter of James and Sarah, was baptised at Stogumber on 3 Feb 1811. She was born on 10 Jan 1811.

David

Offline mnyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
David,

Many thanks for the info. I will check them out.

Very much appreciated,

Marc

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, those records are really interesting and helpful.  They include my village parish records and all the records for the surrounding villages, so very useful!  I have seen these before but its good to have the link again.
Kate

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
I see I pasted in the wrong link for FreeREG, it should be https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Martin allows FreeREG to use his transcriptions, so both sites will usually give the same results for West Somerset registers. But FreeREG gives ways to search a specific parish, or include nearby places, or the whole county, which can be useful.

David