Author Topic: Elizabeth HEADLAND's family - Sharnbrook/Souldrop  (Read 20399 times)

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth HEADLAND's family - Sharnbrook/Souldrop
« Reply #54 on: Monday 27 February 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I hope you don't mind if I join in here, but I've reason to believe the Headlands from the Souldrop

area might be linked to my Headland ancestors but I've been unable to make the connection so far.

I'm looking for the origins of 4xg/grandfather Isaac Headland, b abt 1750.

Thanks - and apologies for the intrusion(!)

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have seen records for Isaac, but I'll have to go back and have a look at what I was looking at

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much - that would be great. Isaac is my most stubborn brick wall.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everlea

What information have you got for Isaac so far? On a General search for Isaac, the only births around that time are in Lincolnshire at either Welbourn in 1745 or Welton Le Wold in 1736.

Regards Jon

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon

William son of Thomas Headland was baptised 13 Dec 1719 at Souldrop, this does not name mother as Dorothy although all subsequent childrens' baptisms do. This William, son of Thomas & Dorothy Headland was buried at Souldrop on 30 Dec 1720.

Mark Partridge married Elizabeth HEDLAND on 5 Feb 1746-47 at Sharnbrook. Subsequently as a widower, Mark Partridge married Elizabeth Smith at Sharnbrook on 7 May 1756. Brother assumed? Richard Partridge was a witness. I've not found a death/burial of Elizabeth Partridge prior to that second marriage. All children baptised to Mark & Elizabeth Partridge are dated after 1756.

I've taken it that Mark's first wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas & Dorothy Headland baptised Souldrop on 6 Nov 1726 - on the basis that there are no other likely candidates. The Elizabeth Headland daughter of John & Ann, baptised at Sharnbrook on 30 Sept 1715 was promptly buried there on 4 Oct 1715. Now that there's a marriage of Elizabeth HADLAND to Joseph Goodman at Souldrop on 16 Sept 1750 leads me to question the Mark Partridge marriage. However I have no proof either way as to who she was?

You say you descend from Thomas & Dorothy, via Thomas Hedland & Hannah Curry who married at Melchbourne on 6 Oct 1755 where the PR says he was from Newton Bromswold. Have you any evidence that he is the Thomas baptised on 9 Feb 1729 at Souldrop.

Cheers John

Hi John

I haven't gone back through what I have as my mum has been visiting so been working on her side.

I have looked at the library today and searched for newton bromswold PRs. Both the transcript and the records on rushden heritage site have no records of headlands there before the bahns of Thomas and Hannah were read. I have also searched the bishops transcripts for Headland between 1715 and 1735. There are no Headlands, Hedlands or Hadlands in that part of Northamptonshire, only at floore or towcester. So Thomas wasn't born in Newton Bromswald. Searching the online records, over the same period only throws up the Thomas Headland at souldrop and, I think there may have been one in Lincolnshire and one in London. I will go back and look at the rest of the info I have though.

Regards

Jon

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everlea

What information have you got for Isaac so far? On a General search for Isaac, the only births around that time are in Lincolnshire at either Welbourn in 1745 or Welton Le Wold in 1736.

Regards Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for taking the trouble to look. I've no information at all about my Isaac before his

marriage in 1776 to Sarah Trenley at St George, Hanover Square, London. Sarah was from

Denham, Bucks & in 1792 he was working as a carpenter in nearby Uxbridge when he was

declared bankrupt & sent to Newgate Prison. In 1800 Sarah made a claim as a pauper, saying

Isaac had left their house off Tottenham Court Road, London, twelve months before but gives no

more details of his departure. That's the last trace of him as far as I can see.

I've been unable to rule out the two you mention, but neither have I been able to rule them in.

I've no proof he was born around 1750 - I just presumed he might have been as Sarah was b

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon,

Have you checked the Melchbourne marriage entry of 6 Oct 1755 for Thomas Headland & Hannah Curry, at the Beds Archives to see who the witnesses were; they may be family members.

It does state that Thomas was from Newton Bromswold which is just across the fields/county boundary from Melchbourne, where it assumes Hannah was from, although there's no evidence of her coming from there. However it is a bit of a way away from Souldrop. That being said Thomas & Hannah remain in Newton Bromswold & baptise 9 children there between 1756 & 1774, interestingly one is named Dorothy and another Thomas, so it is looking likely that there is a family connection. Thomas was buried there in Feb 1776 & Hannah in Nov 1809.

I have no idea where his father Thomas Headland came from. His marriage in 1717 is the earliest Headland name in Souldrop. Dorothy Johnson was baptised 27 Dec 1688 at Souldrop, daughter of William Johnson. William Johnson married Susan Coe at Souldrop on 19 Oct 1685 & Susan, wife of Wm Johnson was buried 15 Jun 1710.       

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for that. It confirms what I already have to hand. I have read somewhere that Hannah curry was born in Huntingdonshire (can't remember wether it was st Ives or st Neots).

I know that the family has moved about a fair bit as Thomas and Hannah's son Joseph moved to bythorn then brington, then brigstock before ending up in islip.

Regards

Jon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
After some thought I'm suggesting Hannah was daughter of Joseph & Sarah CORRIN, baptised at Melchbourne on 19 Oct 1735. Joseph & Sarah CURRIN also baptised Jane on 2/4/1738, Mary on 8/6/1740 & Sarah on 1/6/1745. As per Melchbourne registers Sarah CURRY married Thomas Robinson of Wymington on 12/4/1768 and Jane CURRY baptised her illegitimate daughter Barbara on 12/2/1764.

Sarah Currin was buried 9 Feb 1791 & Joseph Currin buried on 14 Feb 1797 with a note to say in Bishops Transcript it was CORRY.

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------