Author Topic: hayes family  (Read 22673 times)

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hayes family
« on: Friday 16 March 07 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anybody knew anythng about the Hayes family of Kendal and Grasmere aroung 1830's
 I cant find any definite information on my ancestors parents.
She was Jane Hayes b 1837 Rydal/Grasmere. On her marriage certificate in 1861 her father John was deceased.
In the 1851 census she was living at the rectory in Grasmere with a John Hayes b c1798 Staveley and Mary Hayes b c1814 Kendal. John isnt with with them on any other census that i can find, however Mary is.
On Family search.org (I think its her) her mother is MargaretHayes and no father is listed.
Can anyone please shed any light on this?
Corinne

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hayes family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 07 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I think there must be two different Jane Hayes's here.

If the one you have the marriage cert for says her dad is John (dec'd) -then she could be the daughter of John and Mary as per 1851 census info OR she could be the illegitimate daughter of Margaret as per info you found on familysearch - but I dont think she can be both!
Even If John was married previously to a Maragaret, then the birth would have been after the marriage for her to be called Hayes, so why would she have not named John as the father?

I think you need to just take a step or to back and try and establish the confirmed facts about 'your' Jane Hayes, and try and find as much supporting evidence as you can about her, before you try to move on.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 07 14:50 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census for Grasmere, there is a Jane Hayes, aged four years, in a household with John Dixon aged thirteen and Isaac Pattison, aged 28, a stone waller. All three were born in county.

Jane was mis-transcribed as Jane Hayer.

I don't know if this is your Jane but do either of these two surnames fit in with what you know about your ancestors?

I can see no sign of either John or Mary Hayes on this census.

Cheers,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 07 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
Yes I have found this on the census. Neither name rings a bell with anything else I found.
I think my next step is to find the parish record at Kendal for her birth and see what that turns up!
Corinne

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you live in or near Kendal? Can you get to the Records Office easily because if not, I may be able to help, though can't make any promises as to how soon. Next week maybe if that is any good.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 07 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I will be able to get there soon. I only live in Ambleside! Thanks for the offer anyway.
Corinne

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 07 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That's ok. I live in Kendal but hardly ever have time to get to County Hall and I have only one line in my family from Westmorland anyway - being an offcomer with mostly Yorkshire and Scottish Roots!

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 07 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm born and bred and none and i mean none of my family has moved out of Cumbria. My dads side were all cumberland and mums side all from westmorland.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
That's amazing. You only have to look at my name list at the end of this message to see how far and wide mine have spread. It all adds to the interest but makes it much more difficult as it is almost impossible to visit the various Records Offices which hold my ancestors' details. I was delighted when I found out that I do actually have a Westmorland branch in my family but even then, they were from the north of the county, around Brough. Why can't I come from Kendal? It makes sites like this absolutely vital to my research and I can't imagine how my father coped when he started working on his family thirty years ago.

Are you Garden Centre Hayes?

Cheers,

Jen