Author Topic: Need help, please  (Read 10021 times)

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help, please
« on: Friday 16 March 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've been searching for information pertaining to my Grandmother's birth.  GRO recently informed me that they found no record. 

MARY GOFF - b. Feb. 7, 1888-9, Belfast; came to Canada 1908; d. Nov. 26, 1948, Canada

Her mother's name is unknown; may be Margaret or Florence, d. Abt. 1895-1900, probably Belfast

Her father GEORGE GOFF - b. Aug. 2, 1849, Christchurch, Hampshire, England; d. Dec. 6, 1922, Belfast.  An Army Sgt., he served in Egypt and Belfast, and possibly India.  I tried to find his regiment with the hope of learning more about the family, but the use of the photograph has not helped, so far.

ELSIE GOFF (Mary's younger sister) b. abt 1892, Belfast, married JOHN WINDER, lived in Belfast until about 1930, d. Aft. 1940 in England

I will appreciate help with this.

Thanks,      Adee7      (Kathleen)

England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help, please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

You have a rough idea of when your grandmother was born.

Are you certain she was born in Ireland?

If so, it would do you good if you place a wee request with www.familyulster.com to look up in the birth indexes. Only one pound per year! Do try to look in all the potential years because sometimes the year may be wrong.

OR that the surname may be wrongly transcribed. It happened to me. It took me on and off for 15 years to get a correct birth entry on my great granny! It turned out that her surname was erroreously spelt. No wonder I kept getting a no record found certificates from them. The Irish GRO made a small fortune off me. Ha

Best thing is to have someone look up in the Indexes because it will show exactly how the surnames were.

Another thing to consider about is that it is possible your grandmother was not registered at the birth or registered very late.

Have you tried this website: www.ancestryireland.com?

Then, you can order the certificate from either GROs in Ireland:

1) www.groireland.ie --- fill out the application form and post it off. They will charge you 6 euros for the photocopy of any entry or 10 euros for the certified copy. It takes 4 weeks.

2) www.groni.uk ---  apply online and you will be charged 11 pounds. It will take about 10 days.

However, if you use the reference information from the www.familyulster.com. You would have to fill out the paper application form and post to them. It will cost you 5.50 pounds and postage.

I wish you the best of luck and every success in finding your grandmother and great aunt!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Found this marriage registration of Elsie Kathleen Goff to John Wilder.

They were married on 26 Dec 1917 in Albertbridge Road Congregrational Church in Knockbrea, Belfast, Co Antrim

Her marriage entry will tell you whose father it was and what occupation--also, her age to see if it is spot on as you think it to be even her residential address.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the possibility that Goff may be originally McGoff or McGuff or even Guff?

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,

Thanks for your response.  I have used the many variations in spelling -- Goff, Goffe, Gough and Mary or Marie.  

Even though her Death Certificate (1948) and another document which she signed in 1940 stated her birthday and birthplace, I searched elsewhere.  With her father in the military I thought maybe there could be another answer. The fact that her mother's name is unknown is also a problem.

I have not checked the other sites you mentioned, but will certainly do so.  

I thank you for your suggestions and your encouragement, which is truly needed.

Regards,     Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Tees

My Great-Grandfather's home address in Belfast, after retirement from the Army, states his name as Goff  in one and Gough in another.  He and Elsie signed the Covenant as Goff.

This week I received copy of his death certificate -- Goff.

Of course, that doesn't mean that it was always spelled that way.

This family search is expensive, no?

I thank you again, for the info re Elsie.  I know that her husband's name was John Winder, but I have seen it spelled other ways as well. 

If you have any more helpful ideas, please let me know.

Regards,    Kathleen

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

It seems your grandmother's parents are not in the marriage database I was using.

They should be there. It makes me wondering if they were married in the South of Ireland OR married elsewhere we were not aware of, possibly in Scotland?

Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ??

By the way, I did not realise you have her father's name. Your best bet is to obtain his marriage record as it will tell you who grandmother's mum is!

Have you post your request for a look up on your George Goff on the military board?? Someone there will be able to trace your Great Grandfather's army papers. If it is still in the Kew Gardens--here's to hoping!!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

Did I get you a right marriage registration?? Mind you, this is the ONLY ONE Goff marriage with the name Elise. Surprised to have a middle name. Perhaps it is the same case with your grandmother...something to think about...she may use one of her names.

I have a granny--I thought I knew her name and all. I decided to sent for her birth certificate. I have her birth date and all. Just curious as to what her record would say about her parents and the occupation. Good thing I did because I learnt that she had a forename which I never knew about. Her forename I know was her middle name! Ask my mum about it and she replied--oh, your granny did not like her first name so she always used her middle name.

Maybe that is why you could not find her....

Will try the database again for you...

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes, I have posted my Great-Grandfather's picture on the Armed Forces board.  He is in uniform, and I was able to identify his medals.  Then, following a suggestion, I did a closeup of his collar badges hoping to identify his regiment and find them that way.  So far, nothing.

Also I realized they may have married elsewhere, maybe where he was stationed, but so far, nothing on that.

My Grandmother's name was Mary Elora Goff as far as we know. 

Your idea that the birth registration may have been delayed is one that I will follow up.

Regards, and Happy St. Patrick's Day

Kathleen