Author Topic: marshall of admiralty  (Read 1247 times)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marshall of admiralty
« on: Tuesday 31 January 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor in about 1560 who was a Marshall of the Admiralty. Does anyone know what that really means- I think he worked in London, and I guess held some sort of position in the Admiralty there, but what did he do?
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marshall of admiralty
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
From the OED Marshal of the (Court of) Admiralty ; also admiralty marshal. Originally: a principal officer of the Court of Admiralty under the authority of the Lord High Admiral of England. Subsequently: the holder of an equivalent post in the modern court system; in wider use: an officer empowered to carry out the orders of a maritime court, including the arrest of vessels.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Stan and genechaser, I'll take a good look at these sites.
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins