Author Topic: Keeping Paper Records  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Paper Records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 November 04 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for those replies - the reason is, I am just transferring information from one pc programme to my new one "Master Genealogist" - which looks great at the moment - the old one was one I was given and must be 10 years old .
I know about ged files and the main part has been copied OK - but whereas I seemed to put lots of info in "notes" the new one has a tag for everything.

I have now realise what a lot of duplicated information I have kept - but better 2 pieces than none!!

Think I will combine the 3 ways - computer - discs - and paper - I can't really see me throwing away anything anyway - but will use the pc more than I have to show scanned images and certificates easily and quickly.

Thanks again

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 13:15 GMT (UK) »
When I read all these posts I realise just how disorganised I am. I have a variety of bits of paper with print outs and written notes, with folders for certificates and original census pages. I have yet to acquire a program to computerise all my records. I think the only reason I am able to function as an amateur genealogist is because of my seemingly infinite capacity for remembering useless information (my wife's description) and frequent frantic searches through a mountain of paper. Somehow I have managed to get back to the 17th century on three lines.

I offer these thoughts as words of comfort to people who think they are in a mess. You couldn't get much worse than where I am. The amount of data that needs recording somewhere is daunting which is what puts me off doing anything about it.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I have ring binders with clear plastic wallets and copy every bit of info I can find.  For my Dad's side I now have two ring binders.  When I need the same info in another file I just copy it twice i.e. birth marriage death certs.

I also photocopied all photographs and laminate them, so I have extras just in case.

I wouldn't be without my files, as when I am busy researching on the comp, I can just pick a file up and look at the info there.  I wouldn't trust having it all just on computer.  I'd die if I lost it all.

I have also done a consolidated version of each family into a single ring binder for my daughter, brothers and sisters and 6 neices and nephews, so they all know where they came from.

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright