Author Topic: Main Street, Howth address?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Main Street, Howth address?
« on: Sunday 18 March 07 07:48 GMT (UK) »

My Mum had lots of cousins around the Dublin area.  I met some of them over 50 years ago but didn't know surnames or how they were related. I just came across an address (dated 1967) and wondered if anyone with local knowledge of Howth could tell me if it was likely to have been a private house or a business.  Any further details as to family name of occupants in the 1960s etc. would be a great bonus!

The address is 36 Main Street, Howth
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Main Street, Howth address?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Here it is:
http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=305051&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Looks to me like it would have been a private house.
It's on the way up to Balkill Road on a very steep hill. I haven't been out there is a while, but from what I remember the shops stop further down.
I'm adding the photo to this post in case the URL gets outdated.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I didn't think to look if it was currently up for sale.
I recognise the house.  It is definitely the home of my cousins, where I stayed once way back in the 1960s.  That explains why I found the address on a scrap of paper.

They moved away a long time ago.

I had other cousins too, who lived at the top of a hill (is there a place called Howth Head?), but they migrated to the USA a long time ago (before the 60s), only recollect that there were ten children in their family and the oldest was called Carmel, the same as her mother.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Howth Head would cover the whole area. The very top is usually referred to as the Summit.
Pre 60s a lot of it would have been dotted with cottages.

What is the family name? I have a 1912 directory might have some mention of them.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Problem is I don't have the family names.  I think they were probably related through the Quirk family but these were female cousins of my mother so the Quirk name might well have been two generations back.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 07 11:42 GMT (UK) »
No sign of Quirk.
Have you tried the local parish schools? They may still have records.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
No sign of Quirk.
Have you tried the local parish schools? They may still have records.

That's a great idea, but that would be going back to the 1950s, would the same schools still exist?  I'm just collecting a list of places and possible information sources for a trip later in the year, at present.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Scoil Mhuire, Beann Éadair, the local primary school which would have been closest to where they lived, is about 50 or 60 years old. I'd be fairly sure they would still have their records.

Try contacting this woman, mentioned on a Girl Guides page - you could try through the guides or through the school.
http://www.irishgirlguides.ie/news/Active%20Citizenship.htm

Offline hornirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Here it is:
http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=305051&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Looks to me like it would have been a private house.
It's on the way up to Balkill Road on a very steep hill. I haven't been out there is a while, but from what I remember the shops stop further down.
I'm adding the photo to this post in case the URL gets outdated.
Saw this searching for info myself. I live in Howth, it's c1 minute walk down to the shops. You can look at 36 Main Street in Google Maps here:https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3833304,-6.0652947,3a,86.6y,236.06h,84.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEiiWxIKh0xPjBrMUIYYWbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656.

It says Balglass Road on Maps but it's actually a continuation of Main Street and most folks would consider it such. If you know how to use Google Maps you can actually 'walk' up and down the road too on screen. Hope this helps.