Author Topic: Bottoms family - Co.Durham  (Read 2203 times)

Offline topo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bottoms family - Co.Durham
« on: Tuesday 20 March 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I would love to hear from anyone researching the Bottoms family from Durham & Middleton-in-Teesdale - especially before 1834. Thomas born circa 1804 was my 3x Great Grandfather who married Mary Johnson in 1834 at Kelloe.
Judi

Offline jennhill72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bottoms family - Co.Durham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, Judi! 

I am just beginning my research on the Bottoms family.  I am not as far back as you are requesting but have recently found a few cousins who might have some information.  I have only gone back to my great grandmother, Hannah Jane Bottoms, who was born around 1891-ish.  I believe her father's name was Thomas.  I am fascinated with finding out more about them.  I know it has been about ten years since your post but hoping to hear back from you. 

Jenn

Offline topo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
Thank you for your message. I don't have Hannah Jane Bottoms in my tree but 19 Thomas Bottoms'....!!! - okay they do range from 1700's to 1930's. Keep in touch ( dollybeck @ btinternet. com ) with anyone else you have in the tree. My family came from around Middleton-in-Teesdale, Kello, Skeers. Thomas Bottoms (1804-1856) married Mary Johnson and they had a large family. Thomas was killed in a horse drawn railway accident so all but one son emigrated to USA so starting a dynasty in Pennsylvania...!!!!! Look forward to hearing from you.
Judith

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Jenn.

Your Hannah Jane was born Northumberland and not Durham to THOMAS/HANNAH Bottoms nee NAPIER.

I cant post details of the 1911 Census for Thomas/Hannah but you probably have seen it and sadly they had a lot of Children that died young.

FreeREG is usually a great resource for Northumberland B/M/D but unfortunately your Bottoms Family only appear on the Burials.

Their Children were buried St Cuthbert, Bedlington, Northumberland;
MARY 9 March 1892 age 2 years and 6mths
MARY ANNIE 2 Aug 1893 age 14 weeks
WILLIAM 16 April 1896 age 6 hours
JOSEPH 16 April 1896 age 1 and a half hours
WILLIAM NAPIER 15 Nov 1899 age 2 years 6mths

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jennhill72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, Trish!  Thank you for the information.  I am very confused about the Durham/Northumberland stuff.  The information I had on Ancestry said "Durham, Northumberland, England" as his place of birth.  Only having been to England once in my life, I am not really familiar with the areas.  My apologies for the mistake. 

I have some children listed for Thomas Bottoms and Hannah Napier but not the ones you listed.  My information might be incorrect as I gathered it as I was just learning about how to use Ancestry many years ago.  I am now even more intrigued to learn about Hannah Jane's family.  She lost several children at very young ages and she died from complications of childbirth with her 11th child.  It would be interesting to find out the cause of the deaths and if there is a link or something genetic that caused them.  Also, there are so many Thomas Bottoms in that time period.  It is mind boggling to to try to sort them all out.  I'll get there slow and steady. 

I appreciate all of the help and information.  Many blessing to you!

Jenn

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Durham Records Online has 21 pages of Bottoms.

Free index.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,
That is interesting that Hannah Jane also lost a lot of Children young. A possible genetic link but also in the 1800's there was quite a high mortality rate in babies/young children. No anti-biotics or immunisations then.

On 1911 Census Thomas/Hannah had born 11 Children from memory, 6 living, 5 had died.
So that is the burials I posted for you.

If you need any help with your Bottoms you can start a new query on the Northumberland Board.

I am in Sydney and have never been to England and just know the Counties, Towns and Villages from helping others and my own Family research.

Trish :)

EDIT, I forgot to say I checked the Children buried young against the new GRO Index for their Births.
All have Mothers maiden name as Napier.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline FreeScot7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Judi!

I know it has been 13 years since your post . . .

Thomas Bottoms, 1804-1857, was my 3rd Great-Grandfather.
His daughter, Sarah Bottoms Wilkinson, was my 2nd Great-Grandmother.

Would love to connect w/ you.

Donna Rose