Author Topic: Auntie from Oz  (Read 1024 times)

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
Auntie from Oz
« on: Tuesday 20 March 07 21:55 GMT (UK) »
The lady on the right is Nell Rowe from Glebe, Sydney, visiting the UK, after she won the Australia Sweepstake in '53. She was born Ellen Peters in 1891,  Deptford, London.
I'm completely in the dark as to husband's and two sons given names, date of her death, in fact almost everything. She appears on the 1901 census where her dad is listed as a Licensed Stage Driver,  but that's all I can find. Nothing at all about her later life. Is anyone able to help?
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Auntie from Oz
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crozier

Could we please have her parents names. 

NSW BDM's are online at

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

Of course she may not have been married or died in NSW.

Cheers
cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 02:06 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Dad; George Nye Peters, born Lewes Sussex 1857
Mum: Emily Kate Newell, born Bermondsey 1857. Married Portsea, Hants 1881
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a death for a Nelliw ROWE daughter of George and Emily Kate in 1975 somewhere in NSW.  Births in NSW stop at 1906, so chances are you won't get too much there.  Could not find a marriage for her, maybe she married prior to coming out to Australia?

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You will need the registration no if you wish to purchase a transcription or certificate.  Transcription is cheaper.  This should give you the name of her husband and chn and how long in Australia as long as the informant knew the correct info.

Reg No 6532/1975   ROWE, Nellie  Father:GEORGE  Mother:    EMILY KATE

Unfortunately the District where she died is blank.

Link to transcription agents.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Good luck
cando

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 02:56 GMT (UK) »
You can order her death certificate on www.bdm.nsw.gov.au
It will give her husband's name, children's names and ages.
With that information you can continue your search.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Transcriptions are quicker and cheaper than ordering certificates.  I have waited up to one month for a certificate.  Noted on the  NSW BDM site at the moment is the following

Currently the Registry is experiencing an unexpected increased demand in certificate applications. This has caused a delay in production. This delay will be rectified as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Hope this extra information is helpful.  I think it is worthwhile repeating that the information on death certificates is often only as good as the informant's knowledge.  Have been disappointed many times at the lack of/ incorrect information about the deceased person.

Cheers for now
cando

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Transcriptions are quicker and cheaper than ordering certificates.  I have waited up to one month for a certificate.  Noted on the  NSW BDM site at the moment is the following

Very much agree - personal service too - unfortunately they don't all have online credit card facilities but at least one of them does (I have a permanent open order with my man  :D  )

It would seem the death may have been outside of Sydney as there is not a SMH notice that I can see - the Ryerson index is complete for 1975. 1975 and 1976 indexes are without location online - these are the years that were added after the index was up and running (an extra year is added every year). As such they are on the ryerson index and details can often be found there. I couldn't see Nell but someone else may be a better searcher than me.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nswsdps/dpsindex.htm

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk