Author Topic: Young of Forfar  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Hapenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Young of Forfar
« on: Friday 23 March 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Seeking guidance on research. Researching my family and have ectracted records from LDS (Mormon) dating to 1720 for birth of John Young christened 16 Dec 1720, son of JO Young. He was christened in Kirriemuir, and ensuing generations moved to Forfar.

Can anyone think of a source to verify this info? I understand that OPR records may not have much more info than has been offered by LDS. Specifically, I am seeking the mother of John in addition to his father (JO), this detail seems to be left out in those days.

Also, are there any reliable records concerning marriages etc that one may look for?

I have had some success with ensuing generations via 1841-51-61 Censuses, but it seems the family moved from Kirriemuir to Airlie then Brechin in prior generations before settling in Forfar.

I am aware of GROS but this avenue seems expensive so before I go there I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Young of Forfar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 07 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The LDS extracted records are from the OPRs. All LDS local Family History Centres will be able to get  the film of these records for you for a fee. Otherwise the best source is Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

They have not only indexed the OPRs but the images of the original entries are now available to view online  and download. The charges are very reasonable - 1 unit to view the index and 5 units to view and download the image (1 unit = 20p)

SP also has the index and images of all Birth, marriage and death registrations - births, 1855-1906, marriages, 1855- 1931 and deaths, 1855-1956. Also available are indexes and images for all the censuses 1841-1901. With the exception of the 1881 and 1901. Wills and testaments are also online, 1513-1901.  The censuses are also available on Ancestry as indexes only. There are also local sources, depending on the areas that you are interested in.

The Scotlands People site is worth visiting for its the vast amount of other information and links that it has.

Good luck

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've just checked the dates of the parish records and Kirriemuir records begin in 1716, so getting back any further will be more difficult. 

I've checked the wills and testaments free search on SP and there are a few J Youngs listed 1720-1780 but not knowing your family I can't say if there is anything there.

For any possible local sources, someone like Forfarian might be able to help.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hapenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Thanks for your time and guidence. I have been hesitant to ask about my family because even though I have succesfully researched my ancestry through Ireland and Germany, I seem to have reached a bit of inconclusion regarding my Scottish history.

I have heard that SP can be a rather expensive proposition but having your recommendation I will try that source. (I think that I am confused by the fact that charges are computed in "Units". I don't quite know what that means.) I am accustomed to understanding dollar amounts (US).

Perhaps someone may read this who is a relative, and so I will report any future discoveries. Once again, thank you for your respons to my questions. 

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hapenny,

If you register with Scotlands People, you then can buy units of 30, this costs £6.

When you search it is free until you actually want to view the record. When you decide which record you want it cost 1 unit, the 5 units to view, 6 units in all.
You can therefore if you search wisely view a total on 6 record which can be either BMD's or census.  As you are viewing the actual image you don't have to buy the certificate as with other websites, you have it there and can just print it off.

Elizabeth
p.s. Hope you understand what I mean.

Offline Troon01

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just reviving this old thread, as I'm also trying to trace the Jo Young (and his spouse) of Kirriemuir mentioned by Hapenny above. According to SP, Jo Young had six children between 1720 and 1727, but none of those records include the mother's name. I can't find a birth record for Jo Young (presumably Jo is short for John) either. Any thoughts much appreciated!