Author Topic: Henry Timbrell Elliott - missing before 1854  (Read 1828 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Timbrell Elliott - missing before 1854
« on: Saturday 24 March 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Henry Timbrell Elliott died on 27 June 1854 at 8 Fortess Terrace, Kentish Town, London.  His death was registered in St Pancras district and his parents placed a death announcement in The Times, describing him at their eldest son and saying that he was in the 9th year of his age.

My problem is, I can't find any trace of Henry before his death :(

Henry's parents were William Timbrell Pierce, an attorney and solicitor who was born in St Pancras in 1821, and his wife Margaret Ann (nee Abraham), b St Pancras 1815.  They married at St Pancras Old Church on 17 December 1844.

I can't find the family in 1851 anywhere.  They are definitely not at the 8 Fortess Terrace address; another family is living there.  I have the family in all post-1851 censuses, but obviously young Henry is not with them so I have no record of a birthplace for him.

I'd really like to find Henry's birth or in any case where this family was between 1844, when William and Margaret married in St Pancras, and 1852, when I know they had a son (William Wallworth Elliott) again in St Pancras.  I feel they must have had other children in this period whom I don't yet know about - and they were particularly keen on using family surnames as middle names, so I want to collect as many children for them as possible to maximise clues for tracing the family.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Timbrell Elliott - missing before 1854
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 07 21:45 GMT (UK) »
The family are living in 5 Old Chaple Road, St Pancras.

Henry is transcribed as Henry Terebrell Tunbbe  ???

HO107/1498 folio 228 page 34
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Bearkat, what a complete star you are! 

Now why didn't I think of looking for the Elliott family as Tunbbe ;)

Many thanks indeed

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna

Its ten years since you started your Email chain ‘Henry Timbrell Elliott – missing before 1854’, and your Rootschat ‘surname interests’ show that you have Timbrell ancestors in Winchcombe, so you’re probably aware that Henry Timbrell Elliott was, no doubt, named after the brother of his great-grandfather (John Timbrell 1762-1844), ie, Henry Timbrell (1747-1817) of Winchcombe, Gloucs.

I’m currently doing some research into John Timbrell (1762-1844) for an article I‘m writing for the
Winchcombe History Journal. A few weeks ago I found what appears to be the 1777 record of his apprenticeship with Wm Roberts, attorney, and I then found information about his wedding to Ann Roberts (could she have been the daughter of his master?), his daughters Ann & Mary, plus his Elliott and Pierce descendants. A couple of days ago I chanced upon your Rootschat posts over the last ten years and wondered if you could clear something up for me.

From my research, the weak link between John Timbrell’s childhood in Winchcombe and his career as a London attorney is that his 1777 apprenticeship record (available at Find My Past) does not indicate where he came from.  So although I strongly suspect they are one and the same person I can’t prove it. Do you have any information that confirms that John Timbrell, the London attorney, definitely hailed from Winchcombe?

Feel free to send me a personal message if you prefer.

ROB WHITE
Gloucester Street History Group (Winchcombe)
Woolvin - Winchcombe (Gloucs
Woodfin(e) - Tilston (Cheshire)
Hepwood - (Staffs & Shropshire)
& one place researcher for Winchcombe, Gloucs

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Happy to have a look at what I have and get back to you.  I have just this evening come out of hospital after major surgery, so it won't be for (at least) a day or two.

I am descended via the Pierce line and would be happy to liaise on your research when I am back up and running.

Anna

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Anna

I look forward to hearing from you, but there’s no rush – best to rest up for a while perhaps.

ROB

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anna

I was wondering if you’re now able to confirm that John Timbrell, the London attorney, was definitely born in Winchcombe?

ROB

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anna

I was wondering if you’re now able to confirm that John Timbrell, the London attorney, was definitely born in Winchcombe?

ROB

Sincere apologies for such a delayed reply.  Your question made me realise that my tree (which I had not done any work on for a while) was on an old computer from which I have now managed to download it and back it up.

I have reminded myself that the link demonstrating conclusively that John Timbrell the London attorney was the same person as John Timbrell born in Winchcombe was his will - made in 1841, proved 1844 - in the National Archives*.  In that will (made after he was widowed) he made bequests not only to his daughters Ann (Barter) and Mary (Pierce) and his servant Elizabeth Molyneaux, but also certain surviving children of his late sisters Sarah (Hughes) and Ann (Burrows).

Sarah Timbrell, bapt 21 Jan 1754 in Winchcombe, had married John Hughes in Winchcombe in 1773 and was alive in 1801 when she was mentioned in her father’s will.  The children of theirs mentioned in uncle John Timbrell’s will were (with baptism dates and married names where applicable): Sarah Hughes (1780), Mary Shotton (1782), Maria Cunningham (1785), John Hughes (1789), William Hughes (1791), Rebecca Simmonds (1796).

The sons of Ann Burrows referred to are Thomas Burrows and James Burrows.  I now don’t have their details immediately to hand but can let you know later if you would like them. 

*I see that the will is now available digitally on Ancestry.

Offline Rob2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anna

Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you sooner but I’ve been working away from home.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of John Timbrell’s will, which demonstrates that he was definitely from Winchcombe, so I can now continue with the article I was drafting about him. In fact, in recent weeks I chanced upon a reference to one of his direct descendants (a solicitor, I believe, possibly named Elliot – I don’t have the details to hand unfortunately) in a late 19th century Winchcombe title deed, which demonstrates that the family links between London and Winchcombe continued for several decades after JTs death in 1844.

Having recently seen your other Rootschat postings about JT it struck me that your research into his activities as a London attorney would fit well with what I have found out about the Timbrell family in Winchcombe - in effect JT came from a humble rural background, his father being an illiterate papermaker and his brothers rural tradesmen, whilst JT and several of his descendants were professional men (attorneys, an architect, jeweller, etc). In my article this rags-to-riches story begins by drawing attention to a close personal link between JT and an item in Winchcombe museum, but the research you have carried out would help to paint a fuller picture of JTs life in London.

Feel free to send me a personal message if this would be of interest to you - I would, of course, be happy to give you a suitably worded credit.

Finally, although from your other Rootschat postings you’ve clearly done some research on other members of the Timbrell family in Winchcombe (including the Hughes, Shotton, Cunningham and Simmonds families, etc), as a Winchcombe researcher of long-standing I might be able to assist in filling in any gaps you may have encountered, either from research that I have already done or from documents I would be happy to peruse for you in Gloucestershire Archives, where I am a frequent visitor.

ROB WHITE
Gloucester Street History Group (Winchcombe)