Author Topic: Lighton(Leighton), Wark, Ferguson, Kid  (Read 5188 times)

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lighton(Leighton), Wark, Ferguson, Kid
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 04:33 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Thomas Lighton(Leighton) b abt 1792 Ireland married Elizabeth Wark b abt 1793 Ireland.

They had the following children:
Jean Lighton (Leighton) b abt 1822
Mary Lighton (Leighton) b abt 1823
Joseph Lighton (Leighton) b abt 1828

I have found Mary and Joseph Lighton on the Irish Genealogy site with birth records in the Derry Genealogy Centre.  To order these would be about $40 each when I calculate the currency which is just to steep for me right now.  Has anyone ordered records from there?  I am assuming that their first child Jean was born in a different County as there is no record found.  Will the Birth record tell me where the parents were married or any other clue as to where they came from?  All I know about the parents is that Elizabeth Wark is the daughter or Henry Wark and Elizabeth Kid.  Thomas Lighton(Leighton) is the son of Thomas Lighton (Leighton) and Jane Ferguson.  I have no other clue as to where they were born, married, etc.  Any help. suggestions or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lighton(Leighton), Wark, Ferguson, Kid
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Since birth registration started in 1864 in Ireland it would seem as though the records from Derry Genealogical Centre would be church records- most likely baptisms.
I haven't ordered anything from Derry (the prices are far too expensive) but I have seen some of the indexing they've done of church records and was horrified.
Any idea of the area where your family lived?
I have index to Londonderry Sentinel which I could check.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have no idea.  All I have known to this point was that they came from Ireland which I found out about through the 1841 census in Scotland.  I have had no other clues as to where in Ireland until now, since I am fairly certain that the two Baptism reports are two of the children.  From Ireland I think I have narrowed it down to Derry but from there I have no idea where.  From what you have seen, would there be any clue on the Baptism records?  I am also concerned as the oldest child, Jean is not listed in the records nor is the marriage.  From that I can only guess that they moved to Derry long enough to have two children, or that they were there all along but the rest of the records have been destroyed?  I wish I could give you more information but that is all I have.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
Will look through some notes tomorrow to see if I can narrow down the church records, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't get in touch yesterday but two children off school and I was busy with them.
Checked Londonderry Sentinel index (1829-1869) and several Lighton/Leightons listed from Donnemana (Co.Tyrone) and Coleraine area but nothing that fits your details.
I wouldn't assume that the oldest child was born somewhere else just because she's not listed. Many possibilities- mis-transcribed, left out of records, name originally written wrong, baptismal (?) records started after her baptism...
There are a few Presbyterian and lots of Church of Ireland churches with records going back to 1820s, then there's Reformed Presbyterian, Congregationalist, Baptist, Methodist...(if they were Protestant).
Think you need a bit more information to find where the family might have lived. Any idea?, did they stay in Ireland?...

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 07 04:06 BST (UK) »
I believe them to be Presbyterian.  After the three children listed they had two more children in Kilmarnock Scotland.  So they left Ireland between 1828 and 1832.  I pick them up in Scotland as they do show up in the 1841 census there.  Thomas is the son of Thomas Leighton and Jane Ferguson.  Elizabeth Wark is the daughter of Henry Wark and Elizabeth Kid.  Unfortunately I only know them as being from Ireland and nothing more from Death certificates.  I wish I had more but that is all I have other than I have a strong suspicion they came from Northern Ireland and may have been Ulster Scots.

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
I can now add the following information.  Elizabeth Wark was from Farloe and the village that the church is in  Ballykelly.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
The townland of Farlow (possibly meaning the outlying lake) is in the Parish of Tamlaght-Finlagan. Area= 291 acres 3 rods 35 perches. Fishmongers land. E.D. & P.D. is Myroe.

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 April 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I have verified the following information on two of the children:
Baptismal Register of Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Church, Ballykelly, County Londonderry:
Baptised: 14 April 1823
Mary daughter of Thomas Lighton and Elizabeth Wark his wife of Farloe.

Here is the curious part, although there  are no further births of children to parents Thomas Lighton and Elizabeth Wark ,  there was a record for one of the children as follows:

Baptised: 9 February 1828 in Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Church
Joseph son of Thomas Lighton and Elizabeth his wife Tombkin of Farloe.

I have Joseph's Death cert from Scotland and it lists his mother as Elizabeth Wark.  The Baptism does not state Wark as her maiden name but instead "Elizabeth his wife Tombkin of Farloe".  Is Tombkin a Gaelic Word, a second wife Elizabeth with maiden name Tombkin, or something else?  I would appreciate any help though this confusion.