Author Topic: dagnam  (Read 6825 times)

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: dagnam
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
Gillian,

I'm afraid I will have to add another version of the spelling of his name for you.

Looking at the original typescript from Griffiths Valuation his name is spelt as DIGNAN.

There are many Dignans in the parish of Cloone and there are five references to Patrick Dignan. As you may know already, the same person can be listed more than once if he is renting more than one property but judging by the number of dwelling houses involved I think there is more than one.

The confusion isn't helped by the fact that on some of the properties there are more than one person sharing a tenancy so one or two might be using the house and the other leasing a field.

I think you may have to seek records of all the Dignans in the parish and then sort them into families. It's likely that they are all related in some way so you would have an interest in them anyway.

RC baptismal records exist from 1837 on microfilm in the NLI in Dublin as well as a small number from jan-feb 1820. It's possible that there are other records held locally.

Hope this is of some help,
RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline gmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: dagnam
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 May 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
thanks for the advice ronnie g but unfortunately living in essex means its going to be difficult to search irish records.

once again thanks for the advice.
THOMSON - Canning Town, West Ham, Silver Town. MELLOWSHIP - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton.
COOK - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton. DULIEU/DU LIEU - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton, Bethnal Green. GIBBS - Shoreditch, Haringey, Hackney. HEDGER - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Middlesex, London, Bethnal Green. GREEN - Stisted, Elsenham, Tye Green, Essex.