Author Topic: The Sergeant Family of Liverpool  (Read 2978 times)

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Sergeant Family of Liverpool
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 20:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with research on my ancestors the Sergeants of Liverpool ? William Sergeant was born in Shrewsbury in1816. he married Agnes Winstanley  b .20 Feb1838. in Liverpool. Their children were  Edmund,William & my grt grandfather Robert b.abt 1849. Agnes died abt 1859. William married Mary Watson b.1818 in Nov1859. she had 2 daughters from her 1st marriage, Ann and Jennet. She had another daughter to William ,Sarah Jane b. 1861.
My gtr grandfather Robert married Sarah Ellen Sept 12 1878. Their chidren were, Ada, my grandmother b1891,Georgina,Nellie, Mary Agnes,Ellen,Esther, Esther(2),Emma, Elizabeth,Robert and Jessie, ( a large family! )
Williams father was Thomas Sergeant, a labourer, but we do not know anything about him. Although William is listed on census as being born Shrewsbury  Shropshire, an extensive search of baptism records did not find any record of him. Does anyone have an idea how I can trace back futher. ?
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Sergeant Family of Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
What was the name of williams mother, Thomas's wife?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
J.

Do You have them on the 1841 Liverpool Census?

On that Williams Surname is Spelt: 'SERGANT' (might be an Enumerators Miss-Spelling, but worth noting the Variant in Your Searches)! ::) ;)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 07 15:20 BST (UK) »
What was the name of williams mother, Thomas's wife?
 Celia

I do not have the name of Williams mother, sorry. On Williams marriage cert to Agnes  20 Feb 1838 and to Mary15 Nov 1859 Thomas is listed as father. That is all the info I have at present     J.
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
J.

Do You have them on the 1841 Liverpool Census?

On that Williams Surname is Spelt: 'SERGANT' (might be an Enumerators Miss-Spelling, but worth noting the Variant in Your Searches)!

Yes thanks I have them on census from 1841 to 1871. It is "my" Sergeants as the members of the family follow through the census's.                 J.   

Offline Chatsearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
William and Agnes were the parents of William who was my Grandad's father. Please can you tell me who are the people in the photograph ?

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
top row...Robert junior (standing) Robert senior, Elizabeth, Sarah Ellen,Emma,

bottom row Esther, Ada ( my gran )

on Roberts knee Mary Agnes,on Sarah's knee Georgina.

Nellie born later, Esther 1st died.

Hope this is helpful to your research.Do you have any info on the Sergeant family that you can share with me please?

Offline dot.search

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hia,
William sergeant born 1816 is my great great grandfather, I too am searching for Tomas currently.
I have details of Williams death and burial, but that's as far as I have come so far.
Happy to share information, we are family after all
- Dot

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 July 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I also have William's birth/ death details but no further information at present.