Author Topic: Archbishop Masterson  (Read 6114 times)

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Archbishop Masterson
« on: Monday 26 March 07 05:51 BST (UK) »
Joseph Masterson born in Manchester became Archbishop of Birmingham in 1947.  His parents were William & Cecelia Masterson from County Mayo, (parish of Ballycroy or Westport). Does anyone have any information on William who emigrated to Britain in the 1880's. Thankyou.  Moya

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archbishop Masterson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
hello moya, found one william masterson b. 20-1-1874. achill, mayo, ire. parents. pat masterson &  peggy gallagher. don't know if it yours, but i thought you could have a look. was cecelia irish?.

kind regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary.  No I don't think this William is mine, the year of birth is too late, the William I am searching for was born in 1862 (according to age given on Manchester census returns). Yes, Cecelia came from Ireland. I am hoping that William turns out to be the brother of my great grandfather James who came from Claggan in Ballycroy.  I have a cousin who remembers Archbishop Joseph Masterson visiting her home in Manchester (when he was still a priest) and being told he was a relative. Many thanks for your interest.  Regards Moya

Offline richardjarlathstanton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
This is a response to Moya Waren's inquiry into information about the Masterson family of Ardwick and specifically the late Archbishop Masterson.  I believe I have information that you would helpful in your research.  My father told me he was a first cousin to the late Archbishop and my dad was born in Ireland, though now deceased.  Your aunt is correct when she says they were from the County Mayo, sort of, anyway, if you are still using this site and want to contact me youcan reach me at (*)  I have a clunker of a computer so have patience but I will return your message, sincerely jack(USA)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php