Author Topic: Help Offers all now Completed - Thanks Scatty  (Read 28206 times)

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: CENSUS LOOKUP OFFER
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 05 18:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Ang,
 I will try to help but am hoping you can give me some idea around which date this accident took place and which island. From your posting I understand it occured in Guernsey, is that correct ?

I myself live in Jersey so am not in a position to search Guernsey Archives but will try to find some information for you.

Guernsey Press the local newspaper has been established since the late 1800s so they may have records etc.

Best Wishes

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angwld75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 03:53 BST (UK) »
scatty
i know that my greatgrandfahter and his father in law work in the quarry's.
i don't know where. since the children were born in guernsey and they moved to jersey. they could have work both places. i could not tell you . i have tired to find on the net the newspaper for channel  islands and see if they have  archives on the computer there old articles  but no luck yet. i will keep looking .
thanks for your help..
angela  :)
caldwell ,quine
lancien , gautier,merrien
walden

Offline angwld75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 April 05 03:51 BST (UK) »
:)scatty

i got some info from  my aussie cousin who is also looking up info on are relatives.
her mother is my greatgrandmothers marie's daughter lilliene.she emailed me with some info that might help.

1.accident took place in jersey at a quarry .
2.between 1925 and 1932.
3.reprint of article in 1996 in the jersey newspaper .
4.is there any way for you to go to the newspaper and check this out.
hope this helps.
caldwell ,quine
lancien , gautier,merrien
walden

Offline cailean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 May 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
I am happy to try and obtain information in relation to  Jersey,Channel Islands  census returns and  answer general questions regarding what is available to  researchers.

Please try to provide as much known information in order facilitate the search and while I cannot promise a positive  find I will certainly look at all requests posted.

My research on your behalf takes place in The Archive Centre and following recent issues on Rootschat I have enquired as to the position regarding copyright.

I have been assured  their records are not subject to copyright and are freely available to all  and may be reproducHi,
I am trying to trace the family history of my late father THOMAS FRANCIS JACKSON said to have been born 20 April 1908 in Melton Mowbray. I am new to genealogy so please be gentle! My father was the illegitimate son of CHARLOTTE SERAPIS SOADY JACKSON who was born circa 1869 on HMS troopship Serapis. She died on 2nd Feb 1940 in Nottingham. My father had a sister (half-sister?), also illegitimate, called ELIZABETH HELEN BUCKENHAM nee JACKSON said to have been born in Melton Mowbray  on 23 November 1891 (although I can find no record of her birth).

Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson's parents were THOMAS JACKSON born in Harston circa 1846 and CHARLOTTE ???? born in ST.  HELIER JERSEY circa 1843.  Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson had an older brother called CHARLES EDW. LIDDELL JACKSON born in Portsmouth circa 1863. I did wonder whether Charlotte's maiden name might be LIDDELL or SOADY, the third names given to her son and daughter respectively as these do not sound like conventional forenames. Of course, this could be a total red herring. I should like to find out Charlotte's maiden name and wondered if you could offer any assistance in this endeavour please.

Charlotte from St Helier seems to have died (less likely divorced) sometime between 1881 and 1890. In the 1881 census she is living with her family at 101 Park Street Lenton Nottingham. She is 38, a laundress and they have three boarders in their house, all railwaymen. Her husband Thomas is a drayman. However, by the 1891 census Thomas has a new wife ANNIE ???? and a young son called  JOHN WILLIAM and they are living at 19 Main Street in the village of Eastwell in Leicestershire. Ten years later, they have moved to a farm in Goadby Marwood and have another child called LILY JACKSON.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to offer me in this search.
Colin Jackson
Username caileaned.

Offline cailean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 05 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace the family history of my late father THOMAS FRANCIS JACKSON said to have been born 20 April 1908 in Melton Mowbray. I am new to genealogy so please be gentle! My father was the illegitimate son of CHARLOTTE SERAPIS SOADY JACKSON who was born circa 1869 on HMS troopship Serapis. She died on 2nd Feb 1940 in Nottingham. My father had a sister (half-sister?), also illegitimate, called ELIZABETH HELEN BUCKENHAM nee JACKSON said to have been born in Melton Mowbray  on 23 November 1891 (although I can find no record of her birth). (Now located as Elizabeth ELLEN not Helen as originally thought)Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson's parents were THOMAS JACKSON born in Harston circa 1846 and CHARLOTTE ???? born in ST.  HELIER JERSEY circa 1843.  Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson had an older brother called CHARLES EDW. LIDDELL JACKSON born in Portsmouth circa 1863. I did wonder whether Charlotte's maiden name might be LIDDELL or SOADY, the third names given to her son and daughter respectively as these do not sound like conventional forenames. Of course, this could be a total red herring. I should like to find out Charlotte's maiden name and wondered if you could offer any assistance in this endeavour please.

Charlotte from St Helier seems to have died (less likely divorced) sometime between 1881 and 1890. In the 1881 census she is living with her family at 101 Park Street Lenton Nottingham. She is 38, a laundress and they have three boarders in their house, all railwaymen. Her husband Thomas is a drayman. However, by the 1891 census Thomas has a new wife ANNIE ???? and a young son called  JOHN WILLIAM and they are living at 19 Main Street in the village of Eastwell in Leicestershire. Ten years later, they have moved to a farm in Goadby Marwood and have another child called LILY JACKSON.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to offer me in this search.
Colin Jackson
Username cailean

Offline keinname

• I am sorry I am unable to receive notifications at the moment mailbox full
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi scatty,

I would be most appreciative if you could look up information on the Channel Islands censuses re my great-great-grandmother or her family.

My great-great-grandmother was Amelia Susan Le Lievre who was born at Les Courts Fallaize Mont Durant off The Jerbourg Road, St Peters Port, Guernsey in 1850. She was baptised at the Parish of St Martin on May 31 1850. Her parents were Pierre (Peter) Le Lievre (born about 1821) and Elizabeth Machon-Bailey (born about 1817). They married at St Martins church on Jul 12 1847. My great-great-grandmother Amelia emigrated (on her own) to New Zealand in the late 1860's or early 1870's.

I am looking for details of Amelia's siblings, her siblings families (wives, children), and details of her parent's families (parents, siblings). I am also wishing to establish if she was in Guernsey in 1871, or had already emigrated to New Zealand.

Unfortunately I don't know if her parents were born in the Channel Islands or not. I do know that Elizabeth died in Jul 1860 and is buried at Mont Durand. Also Pierre (Peter) died on Apr 15 1896 at Courtes Fallaises, St Martins.

One of my family members has been able to get some information from the 1881 Census which states taht Pierre (Peter) was residing at Bayview Farm St Martin age 59 with his second wife Marguerite (Margaret) age 56 and sons Peter age 33 and Robert W.R. age 25. I would also love details of Pierre's (Peter) occupation from this census.

Thank you

Offline yogi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 06:55 BST (UK) »
I would like to take up your very kind offer of a Census lookup  in Jersey and Guernsey.

The surname if FULL - any details for that name would be appreciated.

Offline flinders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Scatty - is there a census for 1840
looking for John Day and Lucia Tauchera De Norbya - married 1836-1840
son Grigriy Day born 1840
all moved to Australia 1846

Can you shed any light

regards Flinders
Mornington peninsula History - Flinders Cricket and Football club - HMAS Cerberus History

Offline iris moore guilbert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Guilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Scastty :D     Can you help me out,  John Guilbert (Name spelt Gilbert on Marriage certificate but childern registered as Guilbert)  He  was born in Guernsey Island Arrived in New Zealand in 1862 where he married Mary Madden from Ireland.  She was a young catholic servant girl who he got pregnant .  He was I believe disinherited from the family land.  Mary and John had 2 daughters Louise and Harriet and 3 sons William Alfred and Jack all born I think in New Zealand.
He had a sister Harriet who married a Capt Phillip Manual  who went to Australia.  Not sure of the date. if  you could be of some help I thankyou  ;)  Iris   
John Guilbert born Channel Island  married Mary Madden  born Ireland   and imagrated to New Zealand . Sister of John   is Harriet Guilbert who married Philip Manual  and imagrated to Australia   Not sure these  are all fact but it is to the besdt of my knowledge.