Author Topic: Death details  (Read 1513 times)

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death details
« on: Monday 26 March 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the death of Richard Cullen, a coachman/licensed victualler born 1836/1838 in London.  On the 1871 census he is there married  to Anne and they have a son Frank.  They are living at South Bruton Mews, St George Hanover Square.

Is there any way to check a persons death without the expense of sending for a death certificate?

I have found two possibilities:-
Richard Cullen age 36 years December Quarter 1873 Marylebone
Richard Cullen age 37 years June Quarter 1876 Pancras

Can anyone help please?

epc

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death details
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
Have you found Ann as a widow in 1881 - just to be sure he died 1871-81?

But once you are pretty sure it is one of those two, then I think you will have to send for a cert to confirm.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying lizdb.  Yes I Anne is a widow in 1881.  Richard  was my husbands great great uncle, so as he is not direct line, I am reluctant to spend the money, and wondered whether there was any other record that I could get, other than the death certificate.

Thanks for your help,

epc

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean, epc, certificates are very expensive.  I don't think we can really get round them though - we have to pay for certificates and for things like subscriptions to Ancestry or findmypast.com.   I usually try to budget for this sort of thing, allowing myself a certain amount for certificates etc per month.  Another thing you can do is if there's anyone else in your family who's interested, would they agree to help out with costs?

I always found my family were agog to know what I'd found out but it never occurred to anyone to offer to help in any way whatsoever, let alone paying for certificates.  Then luckily my brother was bitten by the bug and over the last year he's paid out a fortune on Ancestry and certificates, and has pushed back the boundaries on one branch by several generations.

If other members of your family are interested, would they be interested in a kind of "family history kitty"?  Perhaps it would be a bad idea to have a set amount that everyone has to put in, but if people would just put in a pound or two, whatever they personally feel they can afford, that would help.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 07 17:18 BST (UK) »
What about looking for a burial entry in a parish register - might give details of address - not sure which parishes you would start with though.
If you could find a burial record - you could then try and look for a grave memorial inscription - if one exists.

Just a thought
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
mrs lizzy - Thankyou for your advice.  Unfortunately none of my husbands family share our interest, except for a 2nd cousin.  We do share the costs, which helps tremendously.

Thanks again, epc

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Welshjo

Thanks for your advice.  I have decided that I will send for the certificate, I think that it will show more information.  Luckily a 2nd cousin and I share the costs.  I am very grateful to her.

epc