Author Topic: trying to find price/cunningham travellers/gypsies lincolnshire grimsby/louth  (Read 14379 times)

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: trying to find price/cunningham travellers/gypsies lincolnshire grimsby/louth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »

Private John Cunningham 12th (S) Bn The East Yorkshire Regiment
VC won France, 13 November 1916       
London Gaz    13 January 1917       

Born 28 June 1897 Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire,
Died 21 February 1941, Kingston-upon-Hull    

Buried Western Cemetery Hull   
His medal is held at    Prince of Wales's Regiment Museum, York       

Gazetted: 13 January 1917

First World War:  On 13 November 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Ancre (the final offensive of the Battle of the Somme), attacking from opposite Hebuterne near Bapaume, the 31st Division was to seize the German trenches and form a defensive flank north of Serre.  After the enemy's front line had been captured, Private Cunningham went with a bombing section up a communication trench where much opposition was met and all the rest of the section were either killed or wounded.  Collecting all the bombs from the casualties Private Cunningham went on alone and when he had used up all the bombs he had he returned for a fresh supply and again went up the communication trench where he met a party of 10 Germans.  He killed all 10 and cleared the trench up to the new line.  His conduct throughout the day was magnificent.

Hull Pals

The first Hull Pals battalion was formed on the 29th August 1914 at Wenlock Barracks and formed part of the East Yorkshire Regiment. Within three months Hull had four 'pals' battalions. All 'pals' battalions had their own nickname. The 10th (Service) battalion called themselves the Hull Commercials. The three battalions that followed were called the Hull Tradesmen (11th (Service) battalion), the Hull Sportsmen (12th (Service) battalion) and the T'Others (13th (Service) battalion).

The Hull Pals also won two Victoria Crosses in the First World War. They were awarded to Pte John Cunningham of the Hull Sportsmen battalion on the 13th November 1916 for his heroic actions in the Battle of the Somme and 2nd Lt. John Harrison of the Hull Tradesmen

Postcard of John Cunningham V.C

Offline jcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: trying to find price/cunningham travellers/gypsies lincolnshire grimsby/louth
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the details, do you have details of his family?

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
5, Rickard's Row, Whitwood   

Thomas Cunningham, Head married 30 Hawker b Selby
Ann Cunningham wife 25 b Newcastle
Joseph Cunningham son 4 b Doncaster
John Cunningham son 2 b Mexbro

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
found this in an old email dont know if he is your john.
is he in your tree.

Offline jcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply.  John was born 1897 in either Brigg or Scunthorpe and his parents were Charles and Mary Ann, have you any details?

John

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
no dont have any details but would be intrested in any you find. there is a James Moore looking for info on this site. his gran i think was Johns sister.Are you a Cunningham. I am from Leeds but have relatives in Hull.

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
i have see it on as*** he was born scunthorpe.

Offline mikizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
1933 brickfields opposite Armley Park.Nellie Wilson doorway. Jayne Cunningham left.Annie Lee right.

Offline Moorherb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 February 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
My great grandma was mary cunningham of hull, the most famous cunningham is my grt grt grt unlce john who won the victoria cross, am in the early process of doing my family tree and havent gone far bakc with the cunninghams yet but if u can link them up let me know.
the name Burnside is also in my family, my granddad tells me tht his granddad who was called william moore married a burnside, and the burnside are now in the skipton area, i think so anyway