Author Topic: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly  (Read 23713 times)

Offline Ellis1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Following up the reference to Wigton - there are records of a Joseph Kay and a Sarah Golding having three children in the late 1700s in Wigton:
Martha Kay - b. 13 September 1793
William Kay - b. 12 June 1796
Thomas Kay - b. 13 March 1799

Can't at the moment see a Joseph Kay who would have been Joseph Golding Kay's father.

But could this be the link between Kay and Golding?

Offline Merryth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 01 September 12 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found a Joseph Kay born, 3 Feb 1788 to Sarah Goulding and Joseph Kay Christened on 1 June 1788 in Wigton, Cumberland, this would have made him a bit older than William.

I have also found in the report of the Select Committee on the Silk Trade 1832 - Joseph Kay is listed a as silk manufacturer and part of the petition although he was not called as a witness.  This is interesting reading on the plight of the trade at this time and is available as an e book free through Google Play. 

Offline KildwickKays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

Has anyone got any further with the ancestors of Joseph Golding Kay? I note the link to Wigton and a William Kay born in 1777. Has anyone actually found the link between Joseph senior, father of Joseph Golding and this William? If this Joseph senior is Joseph Golding's grandfather, then they were brothers. Joseph senior born in Wigton in 1779 sons of John Kay and Mary Lightfoot.

There is a Joseph Kay b 1755 married to Sarah Golding in Wigton.

I have a copy of the 1901 Kay family photograph of Edward Denton kay and his 16 children.

Imelda & Michael

Offline KildwickKays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 09 July 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Just Joined the Forum but have been following it for a couple of weeks.
I am another Kay descendant. My Grandad was Charlie Kay one of Edward Denton Kay's 16 children.
I will be at the the Gathering in Carleton on saturday. Who else is going??

I have 2 silk bookmarks to mark the deaths of 2 Kays and quite a few assorted photos of the Kays.
If you have the original picture of the Kay Family I would be very grateful if you could let me have a copy.

Annie

Hello Annie. Would you be kind enough to send me a photograph of photocopy of the silk bookmarks you have and any information or other photographs of the Joseph Golding Kay part of the family? I would very much appreciate it.
Imelda Kay