Author Topic: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly  (Read 23716 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 February 09 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Re Smalley connection.
I have found my docs on this line and am quite happy to send to you.
Will need you to pm me with your email address though.
I have a list of all Rachael's siblings, baptisms, some census, and some contacts  ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Merryth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 February 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda

I have been researching the Kay's too, my Grandmother was Ada Brotherton.  So I guess my Mum is a cousin of yours?

Lindsay

Offline drewster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 February 09 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The Mary Kay you have found married to Mason Lee Fleming is the eldest sister of Edward Denton Kay my Gt Gt Grandfather, as far as I have found they had 4 children,Joseph,Walter,Kate and Robert they lived in Grassington.
I also have William Ewart Kay son of Edward Denton Kay married to Ada Walker having two children Brenda and Irene.
Edward Denton Kay and Annie Louise Coe had 16 children my Gt Grandma being the eldest, I have a copy of a photo taken about 1901 after the birth of the twins Walter and Edgar alas Kitty was born in 1902 so is missing. They lived in Carleton Nr Skipton.
Joseph Smalley, father of Rachel had as far as I have found had two other daughters Elizabeth and Jamima.
Joseph's father was called John born c1767.
I hope some of this is of use.
Andrew

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 February 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Thank you for the info. I am very excited today because the previous message was from my cousin once removed or second cousin, never sure which. Any hoo, a Kay relative. William Ewart actually married Ada Brotherton, my grandfather's sister. I am very much looking forward to making contact with my Kay/Brotherton relation. I believe she is in fact the daughter of Brenda who you mentioned.

Thank you for the info on Edward Denton. It is very much appreciated.

Best regards
Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Merryth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 March 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes, Ada had three children a son who died age 3 days, Leonard, then 2 daughters, Brenda, my Mum, and Irene, who has no children and still lives in the UK.  Brenda married Frank Helm and lives in SA with 3 children. Lindsay, me, Fraser and Stuart.  I shall be in touch , Amanda :)

Offline yorkshirekays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this thread and am amazed! My husband is the Gt Gt Gt Grandson of Joseph Golding Kay and I have never been able to get further back with the Kay family tree. I have a copy of Joseph's marriage certificate to Rachel Smalley which clearly states Joseph Kay as Joseph's father, but a posting on here has it as George. No wonder I couldn't find him! Where has this information come from and does anyone have any more information about George Kay and the silk industry or the connection between Blackburn and Manchester? My husband's grandmother was Edith Kay who was the daughter of Thomas Edward Kay who was the son of Edward Denton Kay who was the son of Joseph Golding Kay. Edward Denton was ramrod straight and very strict, according to Edith. I also have a copy of the 1901 photo showing Edward Denton with his large family, including the twins, and I have several others. I would love to hear from anyone else connected to this line.

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 July 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am new to RootsChat, I was transported here by google.
I have read with interest the above posts, particularly the Edmunson reference which is the line that I have been researching. I have a feeling that the Edmundson children that are living with the Kays, may be the family that I cannot find in the 1851 census.
I have been looking for a Mary Ann Edmundson/Edmondson, who is the same age as Margaret and has the same named children of the same ages all born in the Kildwick area. Does anyone have any links that might establish the birth records?
The name of the father was John, a coachman or butler, but where I have no clues. Any help would be gratefully received here, many thanks
Arden

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 July 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have read with interest the above posts, particularly the Edmunson reference which is the line that I have been researching. I have a feeling that the Edmundson children that are living with the Kays, may be the family that I cannot find in the 1851 census.
I have been looking for a Mary Ann Edmundson/Edmondson, who is the same age as Margaret and has the same named children of the same ages all born in the Kildwick area. Does anyone have any links that might establish the birth records?
The name of the father was John, a coachman or butler, but where I have no clues. Any help would be gratefully received here, many thanks
Arden

Hi Arden

Have you tried listing a new topic with your surname interest and requesting census look-ups? The contributors are wonderful and 99% of the time somebody will find the person you are looking for.

Best regards

Amanda
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 July 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Arden

Hi again

Is Edmundson Mary Ann's maiden or married name? Did she marry Margaret's late husband's brother as she was born c1814?

Amanda
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire