Author Topic: Cecil Rhodes' staff  (Read 1520 times)

Offline chadan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cecil Rhodes' staff
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 15:43 BST (UK) »
hi !
I don't know if I can ask this question here :
I am looking for  composition of Cecil Rhodes' staff in 1893, de Beers'company. Where can I find exact informations ? Where can I apply...?
Thank you
Chadan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Rhodes' staff
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 07 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas Chadan,

I think I've found three members of Cecil Rhodes' staff. They are mentioned in an article about him on Wikipedia ... his business partner was Alfred Beit. The other two I've found are John Moffat, son of the missionary Robert Moffat, and his agent, Francis Thompson. I'm not certain where to look for other members of his staff.

Christopher

Offline The Womble

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 07 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Chadan - there is a museum in Bishop's Stortford (birthplace of Cecil Rhodes) located in the old Rhodes' family home.  It was recently refurbished to be a general museum for the town, but originally there was a lot of emphasis on the life and exploits of Stortford's most famous son.  I would expect that the curator there should still be pretty clued up about everything to do with CR.  She should at least be able to recommend the best books/records for you to search. If you Google "Rhodes Museum" you will find the website and the curator's contact details.
Best wishes
AA

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to find Alfred Beit's connection to James Bennett out in the Kimberley, a couple of Biographies mention that Alfred Beit was connected to James Bennett's wife.