Author Topic: Wright- Ketts Hill Bakery  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Champagne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wright- Ketts Hill Bakery
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out more about the brother of my great grandfather.  His name was George WRIGHT, and he was born circa 1865 in either Horning or Great Yamouth, according to census returns.

My grandmother remembered that he owned a sweet shop on Ketts Hill, Norwich.  I have searched the 1910 directory, and found a WRIGHT at the bakery there, and I'm wondering if this might be him.

I can't find him in the 1901 census- there are so many George Wrights and I don't have enough info to be able to pinpoint him. His mother died in 1873, and he was illegitimate (I don't  know who his father was)  so there isn't any mor efamily I can look for apart from his brother  ???

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can ascertain if this is him at the bakery in 1910.
Thanks
JAnie

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Wright- Ketts Hill Bakery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
Ketts Hill may come under Pockthorpe or Spitlefields in Thorpe Hamlet in Norwich.

Gordon
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 21:51 BST (UK) »
After more searching i can tell you that a bakery was on that Hill in 1883 it is  the same building, incidently it was called Plumstead road  (spitlefields end of road) in those days,the the name  Ketts Hill came later.

Gordon
PS i have sent you a PM=Private Message

Happy searching
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline Sheila Merritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello; I am also looking for relatives who worked and lived for a while at 25 Ketts Hill bakery in 19th and 20th centuries. My surname is ELWIN, my 2 x grt grandfather  JAMES ELWIN, also his son JAMES and a grandson ROBERT ARTHUR ELWIN.  I wrote to the bakery a few years ago and supplied a sae,  but didn't get a reply. Can't get to Norwich,  as live down south and not mobile.
Any help appreciated
Sheila

Offline robsontom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 03:46 GMT (UK) »
my mothers family are wrights, from coltishall, but they came there from horning originally.  traders in coal and wood, and often carpenters too.  if you find a william wright in your search, pls let me know

kind regards