Author Topic: pittard Cardiff census 1891 and 1901  (Read 6084 times)

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
pittard Cardiff census 1891 and 1901
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me again with trying to find the census for 1891 and 1901 Cardiff. The last name is Pittard.  I think there will be an Isabella on the 1901 census.

I can not believe the help I am getting.  Thanks so much.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pittard Cardiff census 1891 and 1901
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 01:18 BST (UK) »
39 Margaret St
Cardiff St marys
Ernest Pittard head 24 Engine Driver Somerset
Bella wife 23 Cardiff Glam
Ernest son 5 Cardiff
RG12 4397 29 52

54 Pomeroy St
Cardiff
Ernest Pittard head 32 Dock Loader?
Bella wife 30
Ernest son 14 ? Boat boy
William son 8
Gladys daughter 3
Isabella daughter 1
Thomas son 4 mths
all b Cardiff
RG13 4982 50 11

although 1901 stated Ernest (senior) was b. Cardiff, 1891, 1881 and 1871 state he was b. Somerset (which looks like the correct p.o.b.) I have 9what looks like) him in these census if you require them

they possibly had another daughter called Isabella -there is a birth reg freeBMD for Isabella Eliza Pittard Sept qtr 1892 and a death for her same qtr and year.

Hope this is the family you are seeking?

it is always best to post as much info as you can (place , date of birth, parents names if known, etc) just to make sure we get the correct family and don't lead you down the wrong path.

Welcome to RootsChat
Happy Hunting

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 03:52 BST (UK) »
Suz thank you.   This is what I am looking for.  You are awesome.  I did not have much information on them, but I now remember that they did live in Pomeroy Street.

Is there a way I can find out if the Isabella Eliza Pittard was from this family?.

Thanks for the welcome

Kassie

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cassie,

The only certain way to know if this Isabella was from the family is to order the birth certificate.

You could put a post out asking if anyone has access to baptism records and  could find a baptism of this child to Ernest/Bella. Or if anyone has access to burial/cemetery records. The child may have only survived for a day or two. (It may be an idea to put the address where the parents were living in the census nearest to the year of death)
I have found quite a few of mine through cemetery/burial records -they ususally give a grave number (if there is one-as sometimes if a child dies when days/hours old, the child could be buried on a shelf in a grave which was open for a deceased adult)) and then the record would say some thing like "Isabella Eliza 2days old, daughter of Ernest of Cardiff -and usually gives the father's occupation.

When you are ready for earlier census of Ernest let me know -you can look up the 1881 on the Mormon site(family search) -I believe he is in Roath Cardiff with his parents (all lodging with another family.
1871 looks like Ernest is in Somerset with his parents and grandparents-so that would help you to get back another generation

Hope this helps

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz,  I will hold off from ordering the birth certificate on Isabella Eliza.  I want to concentrate at this time on Ernest Pittard, so if you could send the census for 1881 and 1871 and anything beyond that. I would really appreciate it.  You said that I could find info on the Mormon site(family search), How do I do that?.

Kassie

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
It's not answering the question but, as the name isn't very common.

I used to work with a Keith Pittard in Cardiff about 25 years ago he was a engineer and lived in Windway Road, Canton.

Cheers Beatle

Jones/Bangor / Liverpool
Hopley Cliffe Williams Vernon Done / Cheshire
Hill Mounsey Haugh / Cumberland
Postlethwaite Witter / Liverpool

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Beatle,

I have not come across a Keith Pittard yet.  Pittard is my grandmothers maiden name on my mothers side.      I have mostly been researching on my fathers side of the family who were from Canton there name is Venables  But I will keep this information for further reference.

Kassie.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kassie,
You never know Keith may be a rellie- it looks (at a glance) like most of the Pittards in Cardiff come from branches of the same family.

57 Helen St
Roath
Cardiff
Mark Pryor? head M 34 labourer Somerset
Lydia Pryor? wife 34 Somerset
William Pryor? son 7 Cardiff
Lydia pryor? daughter 1 Cardiff
William Pittard lodger 64 Somerset
Phoebe pittard 64 wife Somerset
Ernest Pittard 13 son Somerset
Class RG11 Piece 5286 Folio 17 Page 30

I have put a question mark at the side of Pryor, as on the image it is difficult to decipher, but it is transcribed as Pryor.
On the census forms all relationships are to whoever is listed as "Head" -but of course not always , as the enumerators didn't always fill the forms in correctly -and, of course, they relied on what they were told -we must remember it was not uncommon at that time  for people (through lack of schooling) to be unable to read or write.

From this census, I suspect (but have no proof ) that Ernest was possibly the son of Lydia pre marriage (must look for a Lydia Pittard marriage) and William and phebe Pittard were Ernest's Grandparents. -You will understand my suspicions when you study the 1871 census!

West St
Somerton Somerset
William Pittard head 54 Sawyer
Phebe Pittard wife 54
Lydia Pittard daughter 20
William Pittard 18 Shoemaker
Clarriss pittard daughter 16
Phebe pittard daughter 13
Ernest Pittard Grandson 2
Edwin Mitchell Lodger 23 carter Somerset Pellerton
Eliza Mitchell wife 26 Stathem?
Charles Mitchell son 4
Bess Mitchell daughter 9mth
William Smith brother 11 Somerset Stathern?

all with no birth place entered were b. Somerton Somerset

RG10 2392 28 3

Maybe Eliza Mitchell was a Pittard before marriage??
BMD's need checking

if you go to
www.familysearch.org
you can access the 1881 census for England and Wales -plus lots of other things -for free! The member submitted information on the IGI treat with caution -it needs to be rechecked, but can be useful.
Have a look around that site -any problems just ask .

I'm off to check the BMD's -which you can search free on Ancestry and freeBMD

Suz

I'll check the BMD's to see what I can find .

I think you are wise to put the Isabella Eliza birth cert on hold  at the moment -there are more important certificates to get first -just keep it in your file as a possibility for future reference.

If you want to send me your e mail address (through the private message facility, I can send you an original image of a census - then you will know what they look like.

Who William Smith was the brother of I'm not certain

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz thanks for all the information.  I will start sifting through it all soon.  You said that the member submitted the iformation on the IGI. and to treat with caution.  What is IGI?. and why do I need to  treat with caution?.

Kassie