Author Topic: Looking for Dunleavy family members  (Read 15859 times)

Offline maria1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Dunleavy family members
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Dear RP,

Do you know much about the greene side of the family.

Thanks Maria ???

Offline RPDunleavy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria,

Not a whole lot.  They were from Caherbarna and Ballycotten, just up the hill from Liscannor and the Greene family still owns a farm there.

In my genealogy of Greenes, My GGGrandparents were Michael and Nancy (?) Greene and my GGrandparents were Robert and Margaret (Dunleavy) Greene of Caherbarna.  They had 10 or more children I am aware of, all born between 1870 and 1892 (Elizabeth, Thomas (lived only a few months), Michael, Anne, John, Mary, Bridget, Patrick (1881 -  1902), Katherine (1883 - 1907) and maybe a Robert and probably a second John (the first seems to have died in the first year of his life [1875] while the second was born in 1887 and was still living on the farm on the 1901 census.

Do you think you may tie into this family?

Best wishes

Robt Dunleavy

Offline maria1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Robt

My Greene's are a Francis b1853, he married a mary Walsh b1883 I know the old devil. they went to US with Francis 2 brothers don't know names, they stayed there for a couple of years first two children born there 1903 1904 however they are back on census in Clare 1911. Francis 2 brothers one stayed in US and one was murdered.  Would love to find anything out about my mums side of the family.

Yours hopefully

Maria

Offline maria1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Robert,

Just been looking at past posts, There are a couple of questions?

Where did Elizabeth go in US in 1908,
Did she go to stay with anyone,
Did you have family there previously,

When the Greene's went they knew people there, don't know who about 1886 I think, they where supposed to have something called Greene's Garages in New York, one of the brothers was killed in the 1920's it was reported in the press but cant find details  he was found at the bottom of the Hudson in Concrete overshoes??? Im lead to believe this to be a mob hit.

Mary Walsh went over and Married Francis when she was only 15 it was an arranged marriage like i'm lead to believe most of the Greene marriages were. When they returned about 1908 another family member went out as they kept in touch for a while.  My Great Aunt Nellie (Ellen) went to NY not sure when but she was born about 1910 and married a chap Budilwaa or something and she died there a couple of years ago.  However when she died another lady wrote to my Dad to say she was a cousin of the Greene's but we don't know who this is.  My other GAunt (Irene Greene)went in 1940's she was a nurse however she died about 1970 Suicide she never married.

Do you have any Greene's left there, where are you in US.

Sorry to go on just desperate to get some Greene history

Maria

P.S have you any advice on trying to look at news archives from 1920's.

Do You recognise the O'Dea name at all.

Greenes I know

Margreat b 1903 US
Mary Catherine (Maria) b 1904
Norah b 1908
Ellen (Nellie) b1910
Francis  b1912
Teenie (?christina) b 1914 Married O'Rourke
Patrick Joseph (PJ) b 1916
Ethel b 1920
Irene b1922

Sorry to bore you take care

Offline RPDunleavy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 October 09 05:02 BST (UK) »
Not a bore; I know how frustrating the search for relatives who left few clues can be.

None of your names or events sound familiar.  When Lizzie Greene traveled to the US in 1908 at age 15, she listed her sponsor as her sister, Mrs. (unreadable) Higgins, 6 Charles Street, East Somerville, Massachusetts.   By process of elimination, that sister who sponsored my grandmother must have been Anne, Mary or Bridget.  By the 1910 census, there's a completely different family (the Callahans) living at that address and I have no idea what happened to the Higgins family.  I'm not aware of any of the male Greene siblings ever coming to America.  After Lizzie married in 1913, she spent the rest of her life (d. 1954) in Massachusetts.

Are you aware that the 1911 Irish census has been posted on line, with free access and searches?  It can be reached at    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Good Luck!

Offline Nancyb8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 November 09 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I have some information about the Greene Dunleavy family.  My Grandmother was Margaret Greene, she actually is the one who sent money back to Ireland to bring her younger sister Elizabeth (she called her Lizzie to the US)  She probably was not a citizen yet so her older sister Mary (Greene) Higgins is the one who sponsored her.  The name on the sponsor sheet that could not be read,  may have been Frank, Mary's husband he was a Boston Police Officer.  Some of the Greene men did come to America.  I know that John did, and I know he lived in the Boston area....did he ever go to New York?  I am not sure.  I am sure I am related to RPDunleavy, our grandmothers were sisters. 

Offline chaucer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 December 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Robert and Margaret Greene: their daughter Kate or Katie, who died in 1907. She married my grandfather Patrick Kilmartin. I don't know the year. And I'd be interested in learning whether she died giving birth. She's buried in Kilmacreehy Cemetery (where a lot of the Greenes are). I'd also be interested in learning more about the children. In the 1901 Clare census only 4 are listed. I assume Robert Greene lived in the house rented by Michael Greene in Griffiths Valuation. I wonder when Robert died. He would have been looked after by my grandmother. Best wishes, David

Offline Lynn B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
Greetings, I'm looking for my Dunleavy Roots in Ireland. What I have so far is my 3rd Great Grandfather was John Dunleavy b. 1813-1814 possibly in Co. Fermanagh, Ireland and his younger brother George b. 1817.  At ages 19 and 15 they set sail from Londonderry, Ireland on the Royal William and arrived in New York, USA in 1832.  Upon John's arrival, his last name was changed to Dunlavy instead of Dunleavy on his paperwork.  He continued to use the Dunlavy spelling on later records.  The passenger list states the brothers intended to settle in Philadelphia, but John migrated to NC then to Tn.  He married Sarah "Sally" Cocke in 1844 and raised two sons, Edmond Gerald Dunlavy b. 1846 and George b. 1850.   John died Sept. 27, 1870 in Montgomery Co., Tn.   Since family names repeat I willl also add my line through Edmond Gerald Dunlavy.  He married Lucy Ducket Davis in 1876 and their children were: Mildred Eva,  Lucy Inatha,  Everad Gilmer,  Wesley Gerald,  Marvin Harrison,  Mai Belle, Sarah "Sallie",  Nellie Irene and  Robert Burney DUNLAVY.  I could not find any further documentation on John's younger brother George. If any of these family names are familiar to anyone, please contact me.  I'm at a dead end on John and George that left Ireland for America.  Thanks, Lynn B.

Offline Lynn B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 March 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate family information of my 3xgreat grandfather's roots in Ireland.  John Dunleavey b. about 1813 and his brother George Dunleavey b. about 1817 possibly in Fermanagh County Ireland.  They set sail on the "Royal William" ship from Londonderry, Ireland and arrived in NY, USA Oct 18, 1832 with intentions to settle in Pa.  John was 19 yrs. old and his brother, George was about 15 yrs. old when they left Ireland for the USA.  Once in America their last names were recorded as Dunlavy.  John migrated to NC which that part of NC later became the state of Tn.  John Dunlavy married June 6, 1844 in Montgomery County, Tn. to Sarah G
"Sally" Cocke.  They had a son, Edmond Gerald Dunlavy b. Aug. 22, 1846 and possibly another son, George about 1850.  I haven't found anything about the son, George or John's brother, George.  There are some possibilities, but nothing definite.  If anyone has any information about this family branch, please contact me.  vlynnbible@hotmail.com  Thank You!