Author Topic: de Bruton de Brulion debrulon  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
de Bruton de Brulion debrulon
« on: Thursday 29 March 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with this surname (it is a surname?) Been trying to find the mother of a Gilbert Robertson born 1794 somewhere in the West Indies allegedly.   His father was Gilbert Robertson 1774-1839 d Edinborough, son of the Rev Harry Robertson of Clyne / Kiltearn in the parish of Ross and Cromarty.   The eldest daughter of the younger Gilbert Robertson was named Frances de brulon Robertson.   I have located several versions by which this is spelt. (to be expected given the era)
I am guessing this, given the naming pattern of children, was the 1st child named after the Father's mother?   As the 2nd child named after her mother's mother.    Can anyone help me with this?
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: de Bruton de Brulion debrulon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail

The established Scottish naming pattern (not always followed to the letter - sometimes in different order) was:

1st Son named after Fathers Father
2nd Son named after Mothers Father
3rd Son named after Father
4th Son named after Father's oldest brother....

1st Daughter named after Mothers Mother
2nd Daughter named after Fathers Mother
3rd Daughter named after Mother
4th Daughter named after Mothers oldest sister....

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: de Bruton de Brulion debrulon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaLesl,
trust me to have the exception, the second had the same names as her maternal grandmother, the only son named after an uncle, the fourth daughter after her mother and the third, I haven't a clue.   Which is why I wondered about the possiblity of the first having the names of her paternal grandmother.   I haven't come across any variations of de Brulon, hence my query.    The surname of Bruton is in use today, but I haven't found it in this case.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail