Author Topic: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE  (Read 31426 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE
« on: Friday 30 March 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
I posted seeking information about 2 years ago about the family of Thomas Wyllie. The only information I had at that time was an IGI listing with the following children:

Margaret Wylie Birth: 12 FEB 1813
Christening: 14 FEB 1813 Dunlop, Ayr, Scotland

John Wylie Birth: 18 APR 1815 Dunlop, Ayr, Scotland

Thomas Wylie Birth: 14 MAY 1817 Dunlop, Ayr, Scotland

David Wylie Birth: 22 JUN 1819 Stewarton, Ayr, Scotland

Jean Wylie Birth: 16 SEP 1821 Stewarton, Ayr, Scotland.

Jean was my g grandmother. She married James Whiteford in Campbeltown in 1849 and in 1852 they migrated to Australia. I have details of the family in Australia.

Margaret married Robert KERR. The information below on that families connections were kindly provided to me by other listers. Robert KERR (i) b.1808 m. Margaret WYLLIE 25 May 1837(?) d. 12 Nov 1880.
Margaret WYLLIE (possibly second wife). Children -
Jane b. 1838
Margaret x. 31 May 1840
Mary x. 24 Jul 1842
Robert (ii) b. 16 Nov 1844 m. Elizabeth HAMILTON.
Elizabeth HAMILTON b. 1845 d. 16 Jun 1888
Janet x. 18 Apr 1847 m. Archibald GRAY 23 Dec 1875
d. 21 Sep 1935 *
Archibald GRAY b. 01 Jan 1841 d. 22 Apr 1918 (second
wife).
John b. 02 Sep 1849
James x. 01 Mar 1852 m. Janet ????? before 1881
Elizabeth x. 25 Jun 1854

I have since found that Thomas was born around 1787 in Dunlop. He farmed at Caddel Farm in Ardrossan (there at the 1841 Census), East Muirshiel and Skellyhill which his daughter Jean referred to as Skylahill in a newspaper article in Australia on her golden wedding anniversary.

The 1841 Census at Caddel Farm lists a Jean and a Janet Wylie separately, born around the same year. There was a family history story about a twin who migrated to the US. I will need to do further research on ScotslandsPeople to see if they were twins or perhaps cousins.

I was lucky enough to find details of Thomas's marriage in April 1806 at Kilmaurs to Jane/Jean Morton daughter of George Morton and Jane/Jean Wotherspoon. I believe George and Jane married in 1754 at the Associate Sessions in Lanark. Their granddaughter Jean mentions in some family documentation that George had a place called Skylahill in Ayrshire. This may have been Skellyhill Farm.

I have found Thomas's inventory following his death on 1 October 1845. He was still at Caddel farm at that time. Because of information in the inventory I found out about George, his oldest son. George was born at Bowhouse on 1 December 1808 and christened on 4 December.

There is still a gap between George in 1808 and the next child shown on IGI, Margaret in 1813 however, I am working on that.

I am interested in information about Ayrshire farming families and especially in making contact with people who may be descended from other Wyllie relations.

I would be happy to share my information, including documentation, with any people with an interest in the family. I am especially interested in finding photos of the family, mentions in local history archives/books or photos of the farms if they exist now. I have a copy of postcard sent to Australia to Jane Wyllie's grandughters and a couple of other items of family interest.

Thaks all

Anne Whiteford
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 08 15:15 BST (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest, my 2xgreat grandfather was farming Caddel farm in the 1851 census. The family were there until my great grandfather left in 1890 to go to England and farm there.  As far as I know there is no connection with Wyllie but maybe there is.  Regards Jean

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thomas died in 1845 at Caddel.  His daughter Jean who was at Caddel as a 15 year old in 1841 married James Whiteford in 1849 in Campbeltown.  George Wylie was also there in 1841 and I assume he worked the farm, so I'm not sure what happened to him and where he went after his father's death.

What were the families there in 1851?  It would be interesting to see if they had any connections.

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann
My Ancestors who farmed at Caddell were the McLauchlan family.  They were there until they left to come to England.  At that time, in the 1880'/1890s the agriculture in the east of England was in trouble and workers were leaving to go to the north where there were more jobs available in the mines etc.
Last year I went to Scotland to see where they came from. I have photo's of Caddell Farm and also of Girthill farm which is where my Grandmother came from. It is only about 10 minutes away.
As far as I know there is no connection with the Whyllie family but anything is possible.  The owner of Caddell Farm now found quite a lot of items connected with the McLauchlan family but alas he burnt it all as he thought it was of no value!  I could have cried!!.  He was a very nice man and we had a long chat.
Do contact me if you think we might be able to connect somewhere.  Meanwhile ghood hunting and I will look at the information I have so far.
Jean

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 09 04:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if we may have a connection.  A friend have the following Wyllies in our families.

Margaret Wyllie 1823-1909 married George NAIRN 1820-1871 They came to New Zealand on the Lord Buleigh in 1856.
George NAIRN was one of nine children.  It appears the Nairns were from the Parish of Dunlop, County of Ayrshire.

Also interested to learn who were the parents of Helen Wyllie born 09 Aug 1846 in Mauchline Ayrshire who married a Cuthbert Nairn on 29 Apr 1824 in Mauchline Ayrshire.  Cutherbert was born 02 Feb 1824 Fenwick Ayrshire.

Their children were:
1. Jean Whyllie NAIRN b: 14 May 1847 Mauchline
2. Cuthbert NAIRN born 22 Mar 1849 Mauchline
3. Elizabeth Kerr NAIRN born 03 Feb 1851 Mauchline
4. William Wyllie NAIRN born 07 Dec 1853 Mauchline
5. Janet NAIRN b: 24 Apr 1858 Sorn Ayrshire
6. Hugh Whyllie NAIRN born 03 May 1861 Ochitree Ayrshire.

Another query: were Helen Wyllie born 09 Aug 1824 and Margaret Whyllie born
1823 sisters please.
Thank you,
Tiffaney
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney
Apols - have just come back to the board after a long absence.  I don't know about a connection unfortunately.  It's great to make them though. 

Do you know anything about Margaret's parents?  Do you have Margaret's death cert to show who they were?  I know my Margaret's were Thomas and Jean.  I have some information on them if they're the right couple for your Margaret, but the surname Wyllie was very common in Ayrshire. 

I am interested in the Elizabeth Kerr Nairn because of the Kerr/Wyllie connection I noted in my email below.  Hope to hear back from you.

Cheers
Anne

Offline Jassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
[Also interested to learn who were the parents of Helen Wyllie born 09 Aug 1846 in Mauchline Ayrshire who married a Cuthbert Nairn on 29 Apr 1824 in Mauchline Ayrshire. Cutherbert was born 02 Feb 1824 Fenwick Ayrshire.
.]
Tiffany

Helen Wyllie's parents were William Wyllie and Jean Richmond.William and Jean are my 4x gt Grandparents.I don't have a Margaret born to William and Jean but there is a gap of 5 years between John b. 1819 and Helen b. 1824 so it's just possible Margaret could have been born in there sometime.
My tree is on GR if you're a member look me up.

Janet
Findlay Mair Nairn Richmond  Wyllie - Ayrshire
Arneil Ballantyne/Ballantine Burt Cowan Hardie Ireland Milligan Young - LKS

Offline clementina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the parents of Elisabeth Wylie/Wyllie who married William Shields, Nov. 27, 1824 Stewarton.  They had a son William Shields who was born Apr. 16. 1826.  I have not been able to find out when either parent died but it was before 1850 when the young Wm. came to the US.  I am trying to make a connection of Elisabeth Wylie/Wyllie to the family a John Wyllie.  Thank you.

Offline annifanny

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
I have a Wylie family member who farmed Mossend farm Kilbirnie.
Alexander Wylie married to Margaret Crighton / Creichton  their daughter
 Margaret Wylie born1828 is my GGGrandmother she was married to Robert Archibald  my GGGrandFather 1850 he died in 1861 and she remarried James Donald 1866 they went to NZ to live around 1868.
thankyou
Annie Fletcher nee Archibald

whylie,  Archibald, Dalry, Ayrshire
Calder, Thurso, caithness