Author Topic: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE  (Read 31336 times)

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 January 14 01:20 GMT (UK) »
At the moment my internal clock is upside down!  I am now awake at 01:15!!!  So, I will stay awake a little longer and then hit the bed!

Not sure what you mean that your yahoo has expired.  To my knowledge yahoo emails don't expire. 

Where are you living - I am in the UK and go up to Scotland at least once a year to do research.

Regards

Debbie

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 January 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
My Yahoo! account has been de-activated not expired same thing it won't let me in. I tried new info but when It  says my email it says already in use :( That's ok I'll keep digging thanks, Barbara

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 January 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Researching my Paterson/Kerr lines of Ayrshire and have just discovered whilst looking at my Paterson Line in the 1891 Census, Marion Paterson, daughter of Andrew and Marion Paterson married a Wiley and had a son Samuel born about 1889.
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Caddell Farm and your MacLauchlins
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 September 15 03:47 BST (UK) »
Don't know whether you will get this as it appears to be some years since you last posted.  I was at Caddell farm in September 2015 and have photos of the farm as it is now if you would like them.  I spoke to the farmer Robert Reid and his wife.  His grandfather took over the farm either in 1911 or 1915, I can't quite remember which just now.  He mentioned Spiers MacLauchlin as holding the farm prior to his grandfather taking it over.  He also knew that there were Wyllies there at some point prior to that.  My g g grandfather Thomas Wylie was there from at least 1837 when his daughter Margaret's banns note he was the daughter of Thomas Wyllie of Caddell farm. Thomas died there in 1845 and I have his inventory from ScotlandsPeople.  The family then moved to Campbeltown and farmed there.  Anyhow if you would like photos of the farm, including what the farmer said was the original part of the farm building let me know.

Regards Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 September 15 02:30 BST (UK) »
My search for Alexander Wylie who married Janet Clark. The search took me to their marriage and kids. Their son Andrew at time of marriage lived a farmer in Dunlop. His wife Agnes Gilmour. They had a family in Stewarton, Ayshire, Dunlop, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Neilson Parish. These places all seem close to each other right? I still only have a newspaper article that says Andrew and Agnes immigrated with thought to be maybe 5 kids. Another son born in Albion now Stel;larton Nova Scotia Canada. Andrew and Agnes headstone said they were born in Neilson Parish. A daughtr Grace age 20 and single buried with them. I would love to see the farm and photos you mentioned. Any help is appreciated. Alenander was a miner and in Albion Mines is where Andrew and a son worked in. I can only assume the year of immigration. Andrew doesn't show up on any lists of passengers yet that gives miners going to work in the mines in Stellarton now. thank you

Offline Idella16

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 January 16 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann
My Ancestors who farmed at Caddell were the McLauchlan family.  They were there until they left to come to England.  At that time, in the 1880'/1890s the agriculture in the east of England was in trouble and workers were leaving to go to the north where there were more jobs available in the mines etc.
Last year I went to Scotland to see where they came from. I have photo's of Caddell Farm and also of Girthill farm which is where my Grandmother came from. It is only about 10 minutes away.
As far as I know there is no connection with the Whyllie family but anything is possible.  The owner of Caddell Farm now found quite a lot of items connected with the McLauchlan family but alas he burnt it all as he thought it was of no value!  I could have cried!!.  He was a very nice man and we had a long chat.
Do contact me if you think we might be able to connect somewhere.  Meanwhile ghood hunting and I will look at the information I have so far.
Jean

Hello Jean,

I am extremely interested to learn from you about the McLauchlans at Caddel Farm .

Thankyou,
Tiffaney

Hi Jean and Tiffaney,
new to roots chat I hope I can still chat with you. I have a McLauchlan family connection and my research has taken me to Caddell Farm from 1861 and 1871 census. I believe Robert McLauchlan took over the farm from his father John. I did trace a Robert to England and wondered if he was the same. your comments Jean seem to indicate he is. My connection is to Robert's youngest brother Charles. He emigrated to Canada in about 1877, first to New Brunswick then to British Columbia. I have just begun my family search and I am just finding this branch of my family. Any information you have about Robert and Charles parents..I think John McLauchlan and Janet Speir... I would appreciate.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Some very early Wylies appearing in my family history
John Bankhead (labourer?) born circa 1760, married Janet Wylie 20/12/1791 and had a son Hugh  baptised in Irvine on 2nd Dec 1792.
A Grissell Bankhead “in Hill of Kilmaurs” raised an action against two members of the Wylie family on 18/7/1672 (National Records of Scotland RH11/19/3/177)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 April 16 07:09 BST (UK) »
Very interesting thread. I went to school with one of the Reids of Cadel Farm. We also had a teacher called Mr Wylye. Wonder if there was a connection.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 October 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi anyone researching James WYLLIE who married Christian MACDOUGAL in 1785 Fenwick
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,